T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start heat pressing tshirts . I would work in my garage . what are the basic pieces of equipment, if i print 5 shirts a week to start ? The package deals I see online are about $1000.00 Can I start with a heat press only, I have the printer scanner and computer ,I get the tshirts locally, what are the other extras that I would need ?

ken

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would like to start heat pressing tshirts . I would work in my garage . what are the basic pieces of equipment, if i print 5 shirts a week to start ? The package deals I see online are about $1000.00 Can I start with a heat press only, I have the printer scanner and computer ,I get the tshirts locally, what are the other extras that I would need ?

ken
If you are going to use inkjet or laser transfer's all you need is the press and a software program that will allow you to create the designs.

When I started I spent about $1200 for a Mighty Press (15 x 15), Epson printer/scanner, Corel X3, transfer paper (JPSS) and some practice t-shirts.

If you decide to do more shirts (larger orders) you could use plastisol transfers with the heat press or purchase a vinyl plotter to make t-shirts.

I'm not sure what package's you are looking at but don't buy a package that has items you won't use. I prefer to buy what I need and not what they think I need.

You may also want to consider an alignment tool as well. After a few mistakes I bought a T-Square It from forum member Badalou. This is a very good tool to use for side to side as well as pocket print registration.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I think you just need to get a heat press, and some good quality commercial grade transfers -- I've just switched to the Jet Pro Soft Stretch for lights, and the Everlast for darks.

I would avoid a bottom of the line press, or an unknown brand. The smallest I would go on a press is the GeoKnight JP14. If you can afford a bigger press, then all the better.

You'll learn alot by lurking on the board here; and you'll learn alot just by doing it. So, don't wait for an order to figure out the specifics of pressing -- start making test shirts right away.

Also, there are several places on line where you can get good prices on shirts without a resale licnese. Start searching for vendors. This way, when you have a customer ask for something other than the plain tee, you'll have a source for it, and be able to acurately quote prices.

Good luck to you, but more importantly have fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts