T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my name is tay. i am trying to start a small
business in loving memory of my son alex.
i'm problem trying to find out what printer can i use that it is not expensive but that i could use it for shirts, cups, hats.
does any one know which printer should i start up with. well it is nice to be able to find
support in this site thank you

·
Registered
558 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your son. Your business sounds like a lovely way to memorialize him. What type of images will you be putting on the merchandise...text messages, full color photos, etc? That can help determine the type of printer that is recommended. Best wishes to you.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sorry to hear about your son... it's a nice thing of you to start a business in his memory... good luck and prayers to you and your family...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Tay, sorry to hear about the loss of your son. That is very sad. We have the brother GT-541 down in New Zealand. It is an outstanding machine. We have never had problems with it. The only disadvantage is that it does not print white ink otherwise it's perfect.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
hi my name is tay. i am trying to start a small
business in loving memory of my son alex.
i'm problem trying to find out what printer can i use that it is not expensive but that i could use it for shirts, cups, hats.
does any one know which printer should i start up with. well it is nice to be able to find
support in this site thank you
Sorry for your loss. Is there anything i can help you with? Are you any where near California?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you so much i miss my son so much. he was and is my hero.
i live in georgia i just moved up here a month ago. had to get my 12 year old out of miami fla.
he is just so heart broken. plus was going to go out with his brother that day.
so you know how he feels.
thank you so much some times i'm so lonely with out him. this is why i'm going to start this business
i need to remind him every minute.
thank you.
t

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you so much for you reply. what i want to do is only memory things. like pictures of there love ones with a hevenly back ground. also i would like to also on cups, and plate.
i'm really lost in this business, but i live now in atlanta georgia and here i have not seen any place
that i could find t shirts like in miami. and since i have a tatto of sons picture on my leg every one
asked me where did i get it. and i see the pain in their eyes because this is a pain that is just to hard to take. so i just decided to start this business in alex's memory this way i could also get to help others that are going throw this pain. this is why i need help in finding a good printer but that is not to expensive and that the ink is not expensive so that i could do these shirts at a very very low price so every one could aford it. please help me if you can. i need advice.
thank you so much you don't know how much your repond means to me. thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you so much is there a brand name to the c88 or 120
how do i look them up/
and again thank you so much

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Tay.....Include your other son in this new project. It will really help both of you bond together, work together, communicate together, laugh together and remember together......And, If your're really lucky?! You two may even cry together.......

For t-shirt advice......Epson C88 (Printer)......Heat Press.....JPSS (transfer paper) and of course the t-shirt:) Good luck & Be STRONG!!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Dye sublimation will work with everything mentioned above by Chris, as well as keychains, license plates, jewelry items, keepsake boxes etc. You can also dye sublimate polyester tees. You'll need a printer, a heat press, transfer paper, heat proof tape, and dye sublimation ink. Conde is very helpful and located near you in Alabama.

You may want to look into inkjet transfer papers that you can print yourself for the tee shirts and hats. You would be able use cotton t-shirts. I don't use transfers but if you post a tread in the Heat Press and Heat Transfer Forum you will get the best advice.

There are two industry trade shows coming up - in Atlanta no less!

SGIA '08 - The Specialty Printing & Imaging Expo

Imprinted Sportwear Shows

If you sign up in advance you can get free passes into the show. You can go and see samples and meet vendors and suppliers. I went to one in Indiana and it was very informative.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this is going to be a family business, my son is all into it you should see the shirts that he has
desined with Alex's picture he just cant wait to start. this has helped him talk to others about
our plans and it is helping him open up and even cry. since we are in a total shock and it's like
our memory just erased. but thank you i will do as you say.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you well i just registered i think this will help me alot.
will look into it. i forgot to mention that i need a printer with a large format.
since the prints has to be big so that it looks nice at least 12 by 15.
do you know of a printer with large format.
and again thank you

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The epson 1400 is what most people use here on this forum. Try going to epson.com i think there having a special right now for these printers for $200 dollars. I wish you the best of luck on everything you do and be strong and positive for your son. I wish you were a bit closer to my area to try to help you out as much as i can but unfortunatley your to far away from me. Goodluck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hi, Tay - So sorry to hear of your loss - no doubt Alex was a wonderful son and brother. May God bless you, your son, and all your family.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
It's one of the charms of the universe that tragedy sometimes gives birth to wonderful things.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hi Tay,

I too share the sentiment of the other posters "that i am sadden to hear about your loss".

As for your business venture there are a lot of varables you need to consider to determine how you wish to enter the business.

The cheapest way would be to get an Epson brand inkjet that prints Durabrite inks and some transfer paper from your local office supply store that works with an iron.

However...

The product you produce will not last long that way and you may find it difficult to product consistent results on the shirts (meaning you may have a lot of mess ups using an iron).

So my recommended way would be to;

1.) Buy an epson brand inkjet that uses Durabrite Inks. You can actually find re-furbished (C120 models) on Epson's site for $39 as of this posting;
Epson Stylus C120 - Refurbished, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

2.) You'll need to get a heat press (instead of using a home iron) as it has even heat and pressure you can't produce with an iron. Best Blanks sells a hobby press called;

Panther Press: 9"x12" - Hobby Heat Press

Heat Press, Heat Presses, T-Shirt Press Machines & Heat Transfer Machines! HEAT PRESSES IN STOCK! LARGEST SELECTION OF HIX, GEO KNIGHT, STAHLS & iDek

When you earn more money you can graduate up to a larger size if you wish but this will do for a while since you'll be printing on letter size transfer paper in the beginning.

DOING MUGS:

Now doing mugs gets a little more complicated. You'll need a mug press or some mug wraps (they wrap around the mug to hold the design close to the mug) then you put them into an oven for a certain amt of time. With the wraps you sometimes don't always have a good transfers it will be trial and error.

But what you will need is;

1.) Instead of using the durabrite inks you can get dye sublimation inks (if you wish to use just 1 printer for everything). You could actually use the dye sub inks for doing t-shirts and mugs. But if you do use the dye sub inks for "t-shirts" you then have to buy special shirt that run around $5 to start before you even apply ink. You wish to keep it low cost so i don't think you want to go this route. So i would say the "CHEAPER" alternative is to get another "$39.00" refurbished printer and have it use the dye sublimation inks. Use it to print mugs and other hard goods items such as jewelry. NOTE: The items you print on using dye sub must be special coated to accept dye sub so just want you to know that.

So what i am saying is you would have

- Printer one to print t-shirts, totes, etc. and be able to put the designs you print on 50/50 and 100% cotton garments that start at a cost of about $1.50+ before considering ink and transfer paper.

But... you can't do mugs

or...

- You can print by buying special dye sub inks (meaning there is a bulk ink system you can get for the printer and not use the durabrite inks that came standard with the printer) you would attach the bulk ink system to your printer and refill the tanks when you run out of ink. You can print t-shirts, mugs and other hard goods BUT... the price of the t-shirts runs almost $5 before you consider the Ink and transfer paper you will be using.

or...

- You can buy a color laser printer and special transfer paper to print HARD GOODS (so you can do the mugs) and heat transfer paper (so you can do t-shirts). You can put the transfer for t-shirts on both 50/50 and 100% cotton fabric. You can find some cheap color laser printers for around $299.99 but... make sure before you buy you know what heat transfer paper can/will work in it as not all laser printers can use heat transfer paper.

You can also do mugs but you will need a mug press or the MUG WRAPS i mentioned above. A lot of people also buy a toaster oven to put the mugs in instead of using their home oven.

Actually i could go on and on about what you could do because there are so many alternatives but i think the ones i gave are your best options. You'll just need to decide how you wish to enter the market.

Again i am sorry for your loss and wish you much success in your new venture.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts