T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
sorry for the dramatics, but I do have MS and I’m in a wheelchair, anyway I’ve been trolling the T-Shirt forum and researching for a couple of days “Which heat press to buy? Trials and Tribulations of the Heat Press Purchase” http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-presses-equipment/t148313-3.html#post1094119 and “What heat press do u have and y?” http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-presses-equipment/t184843.html it’s been very helpful but, one thing that I picked up on was that some people where saying they suffered from fatigue using some of the heat press machines.

I have problems controlling my hands and I know I would suffer from fatigue, so what would be the best heat press for someone in my condition?

I was an art director/designer but I’ve had to quit because of my condition. I‘ve been wanting to get into the T-Shirt business for a while now, but there was always something going on. This my one/only way in staying in the creativity business and making a living doing something I’m passionate about.

Thanks in advance. d : - )

· Registered
8,374 Posts
Geo Knight has a fully automatic press but is air operated so you would need a compressor also. Most of these are auto open this one uses the air to press also. Looks like a good match for you. A google search with the name will bring up many suppliers.

· Registered
105 Posts
1st...I totally commend someone with a disability who's "doing something!"

2nd...I'm also a newbie and I don't know if I'm over-pressing or not, but I have really clamped down some stuff, so I will agree that there needs to be some leverage when pressing anything, let alone if you are doing a quantity. If you are stationary in the chair, auto would really be your only option. But I have to add that you need to have a way of getting the shirt on the lower table.

You can set them on top of the table or you can thread them on the table (some models only) so only the top layer is being pressed independent of the bottom side of the shirt. This will now present the issue of which press would be easier? My DK20S (similar to the air-auto version) allows the shirt to be facing toward the decorator but that means the shirt needs to be threaded from the top of the table, near the pivot "axle." I believe the Fusion or Hix models thread upside down to the operator but that means you'd pull it from you out toward the back of the press. Both have advantages/disadvantages.

I picked up smaller platens as I felt it easier to press a shirt smaller than an XL needed a smaller platen to keep it easier to load without overstretching the shirt. Maybe I'd suggest that you only set the shirt on the table, instead of threading them. I'd bet that you're going to need another set of hands to change tables as they are not wimpy accessories. As a matter of fact, I'd be getting assistance during your learning curve until you are "in the groove."

Another issue is accessing the press. The Knights are really heavy and all the presses are heavy. I have mine mounted to the Knight table which is on casters so it's moveable/hideable. You could mount it on a custom table that allows room for a chair. It sucks that these are generally not able to be "test driven" unless you have local users of them. Even the local distributor doesn't stock things but are deliverable within a couple of days. Try hard to find someone relatively close that will let you stop by.

PS...photography is another awesome creative outlet, but you have to have a cam with real control (like a Canon G series camera or those around a grand+) so you can control settings like "aperture control" (mostly that a lens aperture of 2 stops from wide open shoots the sharpest ...[I like my wife's little cam but it shoots everything "wide open" which isn't great for true enlargements even though it's a 14MP]). I was surprised by my G5..I've popped full frame 20x30s off of it because even though it's only 5MP, the camera's images and lens are clean.

· Registered
2,359 Posts
Darren, I have MS and am in a wheelchair. I use a 15" X 15" clamshell press I had early on in my condition. As long as it's on a low table it works for me. Do I get fatigued, yes. The hard part about pressing is telling myself I should be faster. Bigger jobs take me quite awhile. Mike

· Registered
105 Posts
So it sounds like Ed's deal from ProWorld might fit the bill to get started!

The Knight clam that's 14x16 would also be another contender. I have a feeling it opens a bit wider, but I can not confirm.

Personally, I've been using smaller tables, anyway.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0mm 0mm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Times; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Thanks John for your props and thanks for the advice.
I enjoy photography, but I need to make cash.
Yeh Ed's deal from ProWorld is a good deal, need to do more browsing. I have just lost a buy/out bid on eBay for a Geo Knight DC16 For 220 Pounds.

Headfirst, thanks for the idea.

Gheenee1, I hear you my brother!!!

Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.