T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Neoflex. Its in great condition, but I havent invested in Inks yet. Im very torn right now on whether to go ahead and learn how to use it, buy inks etc and start printing shirts or if I want to go much simpler and just screenprint.

I have another business, this would be on the side/something for my wife/17yo daughter to keep up with when I get busy.

Anyone provide any advice? Should I sell the NeoFlex?

Most of the designs I plan on doing are very simple and 1-3color ... which is making me second guess the DTG.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i think this decision depends on whath kind of market you have, i own a t-jet, and sell tees online since i print a lot differents designs on a day i need a dtg, screen print is a good market but can be more competitive and harder to make and learn, besides its only prifitable if you take big orders, dtg is good and fun, after you get to know your machine, but i wouldnt use it to do orders of 20+, another thing about screen print after a day of work i end up very tired, to next day my arms and hands start hurting, i think dtg is a good option to start at home

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
i think this decision depends on whath kind of market you have, i own a t-jet, and sell tees online since i print a lot differents designs on a day i need a dtg, screen print is a good market but can be more competitive and harder to make and learn, besides its only prifitable if you take big orders, dtg is good and fun, after you get to know your machine, but i wouldnt use it to do orders of 20+, another thing about screen print after a day of work i end up very tired, to next day my arms and hands start hurting, i think dtg is a good option to start at home
A few inaccuracies here. We do low volume and make just as much if not more for low volume screen printing, you just have to charge for it.

I personally don't DTG and yes there is a market but I have subbed out a few jobs, gotten shirts from every manufacture at the shows several times. My take here is unless I turn the shirt inside out then not dry 100% it just doesn't hold the color like screen printing. I have quit offering and just charge accordingly. I have had car guys spend $250 on 1 shirt cause they had a DTG done and not last. What I do though is print several shirts and give them extra. Some of these guys spend up to $100,000 or more on some of these cars so $250 is a drop in the bucket.

Screen printing does have a learning curve and also is a investment. I suggest taking a class and also getting a DTG shop a few town over to let you visit so you can make your own choices.

·
Registered
147 Posts
with screen printing, you will need a wash station, a dark room, big area for the press, etc. You could go outside and do the washing, but all of that ink will be going into the ground. This was my biggest issue....Yes, the profit is definitely there for screen printing large order...... and even small orders as long as you have the time to make screens and do the clean up...... but the NeoFlex is just super fun and amazing to watch. Like everything else, it's a learning curve and you will definitely need to do the 2 day training class, but if it's something you want your daughter and wife to mess with, I think they would love the NeoFlex...... not to mention it's not as messy...... PS....I have a screen print machine package deal forsale if you want it. lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
with screen printing, you will need a wash station, a dark room, big area for the press, etc. You could go outside and do the washing, but all of that ink will be going into the ground. This was my biggest issue....Yes, the profit is definitely there for screen printing large order...... and even small orders as long as you have the time to make screens and do the clean up...... but the NeoFlex is just super fun and amazing to watch. Like everything else, it's a learning curve and you will definitely need to do the 2 day training class, but if it's something you want your daughter and wife to mess with, I think they would love the NeoFlex...... not to mention it's not as messy...... PS....I have a screen print machine package deal forsale if you want it. lol
thaths exactly what i meat, if this is a project for two ladys, i think dtg is defenitly the way to go, screen print is defenitly more profit, but more effort and time cosuming

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
A few inaccuracies here. We do low volume and make just as much if not more for low volume screen printing, you just have to charge for it.

I personally don't DTG and yes there is a market but I have subbed out a few jobs, gotten shirts from every manufacture at the shows several times. My take here is unless I turn the shirt inside out then not dry 100% it just doesn't hold the color like screen printing. I have quit offering and just charge accordingly. I have had car guys spend $250 on 1 shirt cause they had a DTG done and not last. What I do though is print several shirts and give them extra. Some of these guys spend up to $100,000 or more on some of these cars so $250 is a drop in the bucket.

Screen printing does have a learning curve and also is a investment. I suggest taking a class and also getting a DTG shop a few town over to let you visit so you can make your own choices.
Sean, with all the respects. DTG shirts not wash out and as good as Screen print.
If you do not cure well n screen print It also will wash out.
Your supplier was not well trained DTGer.
If DTG shirts are washing out There are NO DTG market.
I owns so many shirts which were washed countless times and same as new.
This question has been asked thousands time in TSF.
Screen Print vs. DTG.
Make screen cost? $30-40/ea color.
Art work positive? $$?
Setting up? Time? ?? 8 color 30min to expert.
Cleaning? :confused:
Space? :confused:
Chemicals? :mad:
Messy!
IMHO
100 shirts at 4color. DTG wins. More colors? Needless to say about it.:D
Dark 3-3.5 minute
Light 1 Minute
If light 1.5 hour later all job done. No clean no nothing.
Screen print?
With all messes 1.5 hour later it will starting to print(expert) with clean up job remains. Screen burn, wash, dry, tape, inking. I 've there and done it.
Cheers! Beers are n me always.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Including shirts from you or your machines from the show. Didn't say they washout the color fast drops off. They are very nice looking when printed. First wash and it drops off, and continues to over a period of time. I'll send you my artwork. You print me a few shirts with Neoflex name across top. I will print same artwork screen print. And compare over the next 6 months. I will show how the shirts with the extra care from the DTG last a long time, my problem with that is your depending on a customer for proper care.

Your cost are way off in the screen department as well as setup and clean up. You have to maintenance machines, especially with white so don't make it sound like its a cake walk, and cost per shirt is much higher to produce with DTG

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Was is not determined by the printer but buy the pretreatment and inks, but most importantly the procedures used to cure and the shirt quality. Chemistry has come a long way in just the last year, increasing the durability of dtg prints several times over.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using T-Shirt Forums

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Was is not determined by the printer but buy the pretreatment and inks, but most importantly the procedures used to cure and the shirt quality. Chemistry has come a long way in just the last year, increasing the durability of dtg prints several times over.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using T-Shirt Forums
I'd really like to see it but just as importantly either a machine that doesn't need baby sitting or a lower cost that actually works. If you take the Epson, get a pretreat, press, humidifier and everything you are looking at $20,000-$25,000 +.

I started out screen printing for around $2000 and have made enough to buy some nice equiptment quickly. My total investment even with my initial investment is around $10,000-$12,000. That includes 2 older autos and a M&R sidwinder 6/6 , 12 ft conveyor.

I stand by sending AA my design(it would be my logo) and not the one on my avatar. Getting it printed or let me know if you guys will be at DAX in Chicago or a show close to Indy. Dax was the only one I planned on attending but I'd like to see it printed and then compare.

Didn't intend to hijack the thread. the original post the OP said 1-3 color simple designs. Is that really a DTG protocol? If they are only printing their designs and don't have a ton of them many guys do this screen print and just don't clean screens, there are several on the forum that print on demand.

Reactions: Mammath

·
Registered
843 Posts
As a screen printer for 100yrs and now 10 weeks into dicking around with DTG on the Epson, I enjoy listening to Sean.

Screen printers are passionate, it's an art reproducing graphics onto textiles the 'solid' way, the 'screen printed' way. Wash fastness and colour matching is something screen printers don't even think about, it's a given!

DTG has it's benefits and would really suit the roles of women because many of them will have the patience to mess around with that form of textile reproduction...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Both have there benefits and both have there downside. i only really handle the dtg side of my bosses business but they do a lot of corporate stuff that is just cheaper to do as screen printing, especially when its large quantity and 1-2 colors. We don't do in house but send out to some great screen printing people that we work with. Sometimes our screen printer sends customers to us when they know dtg is better fit and will give them that type of shirt they need. But from what i've experience on the dtg side, if u get it right pt, curing, printing and all that then its amazing. I've never had a shirt look, feel and wash as great. You have to judge what type of market u want to be in and learn everything on what it takes to do it right from start up cost to long term costs. If u plan on doing it with small amt of ppl i think dtg would be better.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This is the nonsense I get tired of seeing. Pulling numbers out of the air only to keep driving sales is what's giving DTG a bad name. Making DTG sound like a cake walk, while down playing screen printing is why so many new customers get burnt by DTG.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i do both screen printing and DTG in my shop and each method has it's place. ultimately, my customers decide which method they want. but the two methods should never be compared side-by-side as they are very different, and while there is overlap, in my shop, the two methods compliment each other; they don't compete against one another.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I'd really like to see it but just as importantly either a machine that doesn't need baby sitting or a lower cost that actually works. If you take the Epson, get a pretreat, press, humidifier and everything you are looking at $20,000-$25,000 +.

I started out screen printing for around $2000 and have made enough to buy some nice equiptment quickly. My total investment even with my initial investment is around $10,000-$12,000. That includes 2 older autos and a M&R sidwinder 6/6 , 12 ft conveyor.

I stand by sending AA my design(it would be my logo) and not the one on my avatar. Getting it printed or let me know if you guys will be at DAX in Chicago or a show close to Indy. Dax was the only one I planned on attending but I'd like to see it printed and then compare.

Didn't intend to hijack the thread. the original post the OP said 1-3 color simple designs. Is that really a DTG protocol? If they are only printing their designs and don't have a ton of them many guys do this screen print and just don't clean screens, there are several on the forum that print on demand.
Ovbiously you bought screen print set up used.
There are many DTG used on market also. Thread starter also bought used at good price. Way less than your spend $12,000.
Your estimate on new DTG set up is way off on sparkle brand new. 99% of DTG is $6000(NeoIII) $7000(spectra) $10,000(NeoFlex) $17000(epson) $18000(brother).
35yrs ago I used to own 5 automatic screen printing machines plus many manuals.
I knew my business IN and OUT.
AA(30yrs old) used to run Screen Printing School. Theory to Hands on. I teach more than 1000 students.
Well understand on what's involve to do screen print.
Yes there are pros and cons but to small business starter and for small operation DTG is much better off than screen print.
Also perfect to small odd jobs.
If we print 1 color job 20 shirts. I can finish earlier than your screen print.
Space and Power line run are another big issue. Permits. Not Green Friendly. Too many hazardous chemicals.
IMHO "Future Screen print is Screen less"
I own the company Aeoon. This DTG prints 18x8" in 4 seconds.can you print this fast?
Washing out cannot be the reason why not do DTG. AA sold thousands NeoFlex. No one complained about washout.
To thread starter,
Why are you limit yourself for 3color jobs? Don't you want to print top quality without worry about how many colors are involved? Don't you want to create some artistic product which you will proud of? Aren't you want to get away from mess? Shoes, cloth, finger nail, car, so hot in summer etc.
My suggestion is flow with new technology.
PS: AA still sell screen printing machines and supplies.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sean, with all the respects. DTG shirts not wash out and as good as Screen print.
If you do not cure well n screen print It also will wash out.
Your supplier was not well trained DTGer.
If DTG shirts are washing out There are NO DTG market.
I owns so many shirts which were washed countless times and same as new.
This question has been asked thousands time in TSF.
Screen Print vs. DTG.
Make screen cost? $30-40/ea color.
Art work positive? $$?
Setting up? Time? ?? 8 color 30min to expert.
Cleaning? :confused:
Space? :confused:
Chemicals? :mad:
Messy!
IMHO
100 shirts at 4color. DTG wins. More colors? Needless to say about it.:D
Dark 3-3.5 minute
Light 1 Minute
If light 1.5 hour later all job done. No clean no nothing.
Screen print?
With all messes 1.5 hour later it will starting to print(expert) with clean up job remains. Screen burn, wash, dry, tape, inking. I 've there and done it.
Cheers! Beers are n me always.
Peter!! How the HELL are you doing? This is K from DP - if you've still got my email, send me a note. And, yes, beers are always on you (that 's how I knew).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts