T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've been receiving a number of Adobe .AI files that give me an error message that it can't Import the file because it's "compressed". It tells me to re-save the file as "uncompressed" then import it into Corel. My questions to this forum are: What instructions should I give my client about sending an .ai file? (I don't use Adobe Illustrator, so I don't know) 1. How should they save the file so it won't be compressed? 2. What version of Illustrator should the file be saved in so I can open it in Corel X4? and Should they send the fonts or convert the fonts to outlines?
Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.
Ray2

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Recently I've been receiving a number of Adobe .AI files that give me an error message that it can't Import the file because it's "compressed". It tells me to re-save the file as "uncompressed" then import it into Corel. My questions to this forum are: What instructions should I give my client about sending an .ai file? (I don't use Adobe Illustrator, so I don't know) 1. How should they save the file so it won't be compressed? 2. What version of Illustrator should the file be saved in so I can open it in Corel X4? and Should they send the fonts or convert the fonts to outlines?
Ray2
I find it best to have them save it as a editable PDF.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ray2
What instructions should I give my client about sending an .ai file? (I don't use Adobe Illustrator, so I don't know)

1. How should they save the file so it won't be compressed?
Uncheck 'use compression'

2. What version of Illustrator should the file be saved in so I can open it in Corel X4? Should they send the fonts or convert the fonts to outlines?
Save as CS4 and convert text to outline/curves.

If they have gradient fills, you will need to recreate in X4 as they don't import well.

Saving as a PDF may work as well.
But I get best results just saving as CS4 and uncheck compression.

Attachments

Reactions: Ray2

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
The problem asking your client to save a file in a different way is quite often the person ordering will not be the person who does the artwork.....Inconvenience them too often and they may look for someone else who does not cause them grief.....2nd Adobe files are not 100% compatible with Corel so you have to carefully check your output to make sure that it matches what the client is expecting.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
:) Thank you all for such "Fast" and "Concise" answers. Sben: I'll try that PDF tip. Bungy: Big thanks for the screenshot and Royester: (I know) I've already experienced the "I didn't have to do all that for my other screen printer" speech.

Sorry I don't know how to use the "Thanks" button to add to your "Thank you" score.

Ray2

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
:) Thank you all for such "Fast" and "Concise" answers. Sben: I'll try that PDF tip. Bungy: Big thanks for the screenshot and Royester: (I know) I've already experienced the "I didn't have to do all that for my other screen printer" speech.

Sorry I don't know how to use the "Thanks" button to add to your "Thank you" score.

Ray2
Just press the "Thanks" button below each posts. You can try mine below.:rolleyes::eek::D

I am also using X4. The best is to ask the customer to save the files in "Editable" PDF or EPS.

Even if the file is save as uncompressed ai file it must be saved in illustrator CS2 version for X4 to be able to open it. If the file is saved as CS then it does not matter whether the file is compressed or not

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I find that even with gradients, Corel does just fine with an editable PDF. Illistrator only save as a Illistrator .eps unless there is a option I am not aware of and Corel doesn't play well with Illistrator .eps files.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To Re-cap: To get a good importable file from Illustrator I should request my client to save the file as one of the following (in this order): (1) as a CS or earlier version .AI ; (2) .SVG ; (3) Editable .PDF ; (4) .ESP

And BroJames: Thanks for the "Thanks button" tip -- I used it for all of you.

Take care,
Ray2

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
If you save a a PDF(editable) it preserves most of the original. Things that are not preserved are usally the stuff that you dont want to screen anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick Question: I understand that Illustrator has a lot of PDF "presets" to choose from. Is there a preset or setting that actually says "Editable PDF" or does it say something else? if so, what does it say?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I use CS5 and I think by default it automatically saves as a editable PDF. I will check when I get back to the office and I will edit this post if it is something different

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.