T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been printing for over 15 years but, believe it or not, have never printed with a 40 mesh count screen. A cheer squad wants me to print glitter ink and the mfr. recommendation is to use a 40 mesh.
I can't get the screen to image. I have tried increasing my exposure time but it falls apart. I have a hunch it is because I use vellum and not film but before I have someone do a positive for me, I was looking for some input.
Thanks

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
US mesh counts. Most of my work is with 110, 155 & 86 mesh counts. No way glitter can get through an 86, much less a 110.You might be thinking of shimmer. I am using emulsion, I am using vellum for my art. Thanks anyway

· Premium Member
247 Posts
If you are not having issues with the 86 thread count but are having with 40 mesh I don't think it is the vellum , it has been awhile since I have used 40 mesh and even longer since I have used vellum but we used vellum with both thread counts with no issues that I can remember ( but I am getting older ) Is there any other variables ? Anything else different between the two meshes ?

· Registered
4,503 Posts
I had the same problem the first time. The large gaps in mesh 25 and 40 do bring up issues you've been getting away with, when using higher mesh counts.

Vellum does require higher exposure time but should work.

1. make sure the emulsion is dry before exposing it. Mesh 40 absorb more emulsion, and could take more than 24h to dry. I always use a dehumidifier.
2. make an additional screen, for an exposure test.
3. Expose the test screen, https://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt-articles/t106506.html
Tip: When ready to wash the exposed screen, wet both sides first, and let it soak for around 1-2 minutes. Then wash the screen with a hose attachment. Do not use a pressure washer.

Edit: don't forget to put velum under the card when exposing the test screen.
4. Now you know the exposure time you need for the other screens.

· Registered
391 Posts
US mesh counts. Most of my work is with 110, 155 & 86 mesh counts. No way glitter can get through an 86, much less a 110.You might be thinking of shimmer. I am using emulsion, I am using vellum for my art. Thanks anyway
I suppose it depends on the size of the glitter flakes in the base, but yes it can and we've printed glitter with a 43T mesh loads.

OK, vellum is OHP film (different in the UK). I understand now, it's a cheaper alternative to proper film.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
I suppose it depends on the size of the glitter flakes in the base, but yes it can and we've printed glitter with a 43T mesh loads.

OK, vellum is OHP film (different in the UK). I understand now, it's a cheaper alternative to proper film.

Glitter will not go through 43T (110 mesh), but shimmer will do, and people do confuse the two.

Vellum is semi-transparent paper (not film), which is cheap and makes it easy to print the positives using inkjet printers, as it is absorbent.

· Registered
391 Posts
Glitter will not go through 43T (110 mesh), but shimmer will do, and people do confuse the two.

Vellum is semi-transparent paper (not film), which is cheap and makes it easy to print the positives using inkjet printers, as it is absorbent.
I don't know what brand you've been using. We'll agree to disagree on this one I think. Again it depends on the size of the glitter flakes that are added to the base, some will go through higher mesh counts than others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.