T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on this forum almost everyday for the last month and a half since I first discovered it. Again I say this site is great. All of the questions I have had has been answered through searching previous posts. But all the information I have come across on stoping the cracking of heat press transfers after the first wash has not helped me.

I am using
Epson 1280 (set on photo enhance)
Heat Master Press
Magic Mix inks
Transfer Jet 2 paper

I have heated up the press to 375. Pressed the bottom pad to warm it up Press the shirt to remove moisture. I even used a lint roller to remove any loose fibers that may prevent the image from pressing properly. Covered it with the teflon sheet and pressed for various amounts of times. (I am now pressing for 18 seconds)

The image looks great when it is pressed but after the first wash, the image looks old. The cracking is not dramatically noticeable, but I notice it.

Am I being to uptight about this? Should I expect some cracking? When it is washed or stretched.

I really want to make the best product I possibly can.

By the way I don't know if this matters, but I am using cheap irregular shirts for my test. They are 100 percent cotton, but they are probably not the greatest stitched shirts in the world. I have pressed on them new and washed them and then pressed. The results are the same.

Thanks in advanced for any response

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks badalou. Although I have read about using too much ink in the past and have tried using a regular photo text print with the same results. The quality is much better as a photo enhance print. Since I posted this thread I have run some other tests. I am now thinking I am not being delicate enough in the washing process. I am now washing cold water with the shirt inside out. But how delicate should I expect my customers to be with a t-shirt?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for all your advice. I have asked other people about the cracking and showed them some of my shirts. Most people think I'm crazy, because most of what I am calling cracking is the design seperating along the fabric lines. I use quite a bit of black in many of my designs and on shirts using black ink in the design show the cracking or rather the seperation much more than lighter colors. Am I being crazy? Is there an indicator on how much wear will take place after the first wash. What is an acceptable level of wear do most customers expect after the first wash?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.