T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
When i was starting out doing heat transfers I saw a suggestion to after pressing your transfer to "stretch the shirt" by holding the shirt on both side of the design from left to right <-- --> and then pull. This they said creates a soft feel and reduces the cracking.

I do it all the time and it seems to help. I think because you stretch the design you pull apart the design as the fibers stretch however when you release it the shirt goes back together. So there's no cracking later on. It's hard to explain but it seems to work for me.

One thing I have find is to do it "after the shirt cools" a bit if you do it while it's hot the design may look stretch or out of shape. I don't mean pull it to death just stetch the design a bit.

Signed,

Printchic

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hi,

Actually it depends on the paper some crack more than others after washing. The coating on the transfer paper is what causes the design to adhere to the garment. If that coating breaks down (like when washed) the design starts to crack.

So to prevent it stretching the shirt where the design is you are actually pulling the design apart and when you release it the shirt goes back together. You will not be able to see that you have pulled apart the design however when you wash it since the coating is not not completely solid anymore due to the stretching the cracking doesn't occur.

I've been doing it for years and since i started cracking hasn't been an issues.

Signed,
Printchic

·
Registered
417 Posts
yeap, that's what I am say.

As a matter of fact badalou just did some very nice videos about heat transfers and on the last one I believe it is he shows the stretching process.

It has worked for me for years. As i said i find it's better to do the stretching when the shirt has cooled down some he does it after he presses so you will have to try both ways a see what's best for you.

You can see badalou wonderful videos at;

http://www.ljrobin.com/videos.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.