T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to buy a heat press and because I'm so very new to this, I went cheap...and it's a good thing. The first one arrived last week and did not work. (I've read over and over and over again here how this is really a mistake, but did I listen?) Anyway, the company sent out another one and I got it today.

I plugged it in and was looking at the instructions and got called to the store floor. I was gone longer than expected and when I came back, my machine was MELTED shut. I had not read the instructions yet and when I plugged it in, the machine was already in the 'on' position....And, NOW, the d)*(&^%$# thing is welded shut.

Is this NOT the stupidest, dumbest, hairbrained thing ever for someone to finally get a machine and melt it within the first 30 minutes of receipt?!!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I would contact the vendor and tell them of your problem. I would think this is something that should not have happened. I hope they will help you get it resolved.Please don't be so hard on yourself, we have all done things, that we know better than. I wish you luck. .... JB

·
Registered
426 Posts
I do think you might be a winner:) But, it makes me wonder if you can still make this press work. If it melted the bottom platen padding to the top and perhaps you can clean it up and purchase a new rubber pad?

And, If it makes you feel better, I got a cheap china hat press and turned it on, set it to 400 and put in a hat for 20 secs and guess what! I smelled burning and indeed, it all its threads melted and the fabric was shiny and burned because it was 400 CELSIUS. duh! It can happen to all of us.

Another morning I was making a quick T. I had a phone call and at that time I did not have the auto opener installed. I ran to get the phone, forgot to come back and my shirt was a nice toasty brown when I remembered:/

/comfort

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the support. I'm laughing (the alternative to having a good cry) and my daughter is trying to get someone on the line to see if the thing is salvageable. I have my doubts. It's welded, melted, fused and won't budge. We MIGHT be able to cut through the foam bottom enough to get the pieces apart, but then what? Can we replace them and it work okay? Oh, and TM? The machine was already set to 400 degrees....it's not a good number, is it? :)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
My first mug press experiment went up in flames, but the machine was salvagable and works fine now that I know what not to do. One thing I have learned is to shut off the power strip to my machines when I'm not right there. Mine is an in-home business and I have some very nosey cats. I don't want any of them going up in flames or getting burned.

You just have to keep in mind that the lessons you remember the best are the ones that cost you the most. Last year I bought a $500 wood chipper and was so happy to get it and start chipping through a pile of twigs that I didn't bother to read the instructions carefully. Well I put gas in it, fired it up, put in the first twig... the engine came to a screeching halt and won't budge now. Too bad I forgot to read the part about putting oil in it too... So there it sits in my garage reminding me to always read instructions before playing with a new toy. Live and learn. Just be thankful you went cheap and didn't trash one of those $1200 ones! I feel for you.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Thank you for the support. I'm laughing (the alternative to having a good cry) and my daughter is trying to get someone on the line to see if the thing is salvageable. I have my doubts. It's welded, melted, fused and won't budge. We MIGHT be able to cut through the foam bottom enough to get the pieces apart, but then what? Can we replace them and it work okay? Oh, and TM? The machine was already set to 400 degrees....it's not a good number, is it? :)
If you reheat it, the rubber with get soft again so you can open it. If it melted once, it will melt again.
If the top platen is teflon coated, scrape it clean and try and replace the bottom mat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are too funny! I really need the laughs at the moment. Cats in flames and twigless-wood chippers! :-D Actually, my daughter just got off the phone with one of the forum sponsers who has said that it actually might NOT be completely my fault...it's really not supposed to meld together...it's supposed to be a little more heat resistant. I don't know...I did get distracted....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greg, I'm still waiting on it to cool off. But, it wouldn't open when we first discovered it while it was hot. Will reheating it really let us open it then? And I'm not sure if the top was teflon coated or not...I'm thinking not since it's so stuck?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
check the pressure too , they make the pressure pretty tight for shipping so the handle doesn, t snap up , while in shipment,, adjust the screw pressure thing,, that might be part of not getting it open too,,
Please let us know,,
sandy Jo:(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just tried loosening the tension...this thing is NOT coming open, folks. Darn salesmen, anyway....he could really talk and had me laughing and I just assumed my new machine was heating up....not getting burned to death! I was probably with this salesman...if I were honest...a good hour, maybe a little more. I'm just sick...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OH, here's another thing...the machine sang a REALLY REALLY raunchy and off-key christmas tune while it was heating up...does your heat press sing to you while it's heating up?! :D

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Sonja,
when it is cooled, I guess, i would go get the biggest knife i can find,, lol
no dont use it on yourself,,
slice thru the rubber pad on the bottom, like bread, try to stay off the metal plates, those will have to dealt with later,,
was it still heating when you came back to it?
if so, the unit is proble still good, if it was not, i could have blown a fuse, from overheating,,
take a deep breath and go get a knife,,
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sandy Jo, it was still heating when I got back to it...actually, it looks a little toasted in spots...MAYBE it's still safe to use? I will definitely NOT be leaving it alone anymore, assuming it can be salvaged!

I'd also like to say thank you to the forum sponsor who helped my daughter (because her mother was a basket-case at the time) and they really impressed her (and me) with their helpfulness and understanding...Alpha Supply. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
If it was still heating, it might be ok,,
Coed, on the forum here sells some product that takes about everything off, i wonder if his miracle, stuff can help on this,,
Jerry,, any input,,?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
i would contact the vendor before doing anything. This could be a faulty machine and they might want to replace it , so they can examone it. I would not do anything to it before hearing from the seller. ..... JB

1 - 20 of 81 Posts