T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay ive decided that i want the Hix 9x12 swingaway . And im leaning towards buying an Epson C120 because it sounds pretty fancee and what it can do.So my question is what else do i need for an Hix to get things up and running. Im willing to take advice from people who has the Hix. All of everyones advice will be taken into consideration.Let em roll in;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
+1 on the Epson C120 as a starter printer. I have one myself although I havent upgraded yet. I will be getting the CIS in the very near future because my digital transfer sales have picked up and I am going through ink too quickly.

Why did you decide on the swingaway?

-jh

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I really think the 9x12 is a bad choice. I suggest a minimum of 15x15 for ease of alignment and ease of doing full size prints.I know others who didn't listen and had to upgrade, I'm just goving you my opinion. ... JB

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Hix 9x12 swing away is good press that was my first press and it did the job.
and if or when you up grade the resale is very nice on them!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Hix 9x12 swing away is good press that was my first press and it did the job.
and if or when you up grade the resale is very nice on them!
I agree that the 9x12 is a good press, but limited. I also know others who bought it and then upgraded to a larger size. The fact that it is usable, doesn't mean it's viable. If you have to upgrade to a larger press, it's better to start with a larger press. I realize cost is a factor, but the hassle of saleing and buying again is a hassle too. JMHO. .... JB

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Depends on use.

If Jimmy will "only" be pressing transfers he prints off of the c120, the max size paper is 8.5x11, so a 9x12 press will work perfectly.

If Jimmy wants to add stock transfers that he can buy on the internet, plastisols, or vinyl later on -- he may be limiting himself.

He could upgrade later if he needs to - when he adds processes - and then he could even keep this press as a back up or second press, as it should be a good performer. Many people do this as well.

Jimmy, make sure you know what the largest design is that you will press before you choose your press. If it is the paper from the c120, you'll be fine. Alot of folks have started at this size. Some do upgrade later.

Rule of thumb is to buy the largest size press you can afford. Good luck to you... :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Even if you are only doing the 8 1/2 x 11" transfers, you're going to spend alot of time trying to line things up on a 9 X 12" press. Remember, time is money.

I have a JP14 which is slightly larger at 12 X14. That little bit of room makes a big difference.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Yep, what Michele says is true. I am working mainly in youth so my 11x15 platen is fine in everyway. But when I do work with the XXL shirts, it does take a bit longer to line up, even on my size platen.

It all depends if you only have the money for 9x12, it won't NOT work, but there are more luxuries (that's right people, i used the word luxuries when refering to heat press - hehe- lol!) that come with a larger press. :D

Don't mind my joking around, too much sugar today. :)

You know what, there are some times great deals going thru the TSF classifieds on presses. Stix recently sold his 16x20 press for $250 (it was listed). A used press can buy a whole lot more press for the money. Then there are no limitations at all, and no going over budget.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I always suggest the 15x15 because, when buying equipment you always should plan to a buy alittle larger than needed, You can always use a larger press for smaller images, but vice versa is not as easy. I only try to tell people what I have learned to help then not make mistakes that will cost them time or money. ... JB

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Yeah, but I couldn't dish out the money for the 15x15 name brand press at the time.. I tried. I had read all the advice about buy the biggest press you can afford, and there was no way with the budget I gave myself. To go there, I could only have afforded the off brand presses, and the threads on which are good wasn't around at the time.

I *had* to have my lifetime heating element warranty... so moving up to the 11x15 *was* upgrading for me at the time. Still -- glad I did, but now as I move to the vinyl world, I do plan to continue in youth and small sizes (it works for me $), but will add things like jackets and pants, so I suspect I'll be running into space issues. Hopefully not, hopefully good planning can negate that...

Still, the general rule of thumb is good advice: Buy the largest press you can afford. That advice helped move me up from the 9x12 to the 11x15 and I am always thankful for that extra bit of platen. :)

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I totally agree bucget is a big factor. I just found a new press,I would love to have. The cost is way out of my range. I would love this press, but $4000 dollars is a lot. If I was on a budget, I think I would buy a Sunie 15z15,but being new and reading all the post(like you gid Kelly)< I would have opted for the mighty press too. The real answer is buy the best you can afford and make some money. .... JB

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Ok I just wanted to say that it really depends on what you intend to do with the press also. I myself started out only doing baby and toddler wear, and started with 2 hix hobby presses 9 x 12. They worked perfect for what I was using them for and I had no limitations at all, because a bigger size was not needed. When I got my dtg and moved into printing adult clothing however the smaller presses were not viable. So it really depends on what the person intends on printing and pressing. I know my 2 small presses worked perfect for me for 2 years. That is something I have not seen mentioned any where in this thread, is what is it that the person is planning on printing. This will be a big factor whether the press is sufficient.

Reactions: synkai7

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I would love this press, but $4000 dollars is a lot.
Wow, $4k, all I can imagine is a twin auto press... what is this thing?

COEDS said:
If I was on a budget, I think I would buy a Sunie 15z15,but being new and reading all the post(like you gid Kelly)< I would have opted for the mighty press too. The real answer is buy the best you can afford and make some money. .... JB
Yeah, I still don't know if I'd buy a Sunie, luckily for now, I don't have to deal with it... we'll see if I move to adult sizes like Sunny did, then I"ll be on the block to decide.

That'd be a tough call for me, bc alot of folks are having luck with the Sunie's, and I may have a cool spot on my MP. Not sure. Teflon clears it up, so I just make sure I press with teflon, and there are no issues. Anyway, all good advice, will you hook me up with a link to this new beauty of a press at $4k?

Sunnydayz said:
I myself started out only doing baby and toddler wear, and started with 2 hix hobby presses 9 x 12. They worked perfect for what I was using them for and I had no limitations at all, because a bigger size was not needed.
Hey Sunny!!! :) Well, I did mention something like that here and there, but not so directly, so good thing you did. I said like: depends on use, depends on largest size design coming out of the printer, and that I work in youth and the 11x15 size platen is perfect for me in everyway.

I was going to go with the hobby lite, and I am still glad to have the 11x15 size platen bc with just that little extra room, I can gang a few of the little things on there at the same time. Sometimes there's not much room left over.

I can see the 15x15 really helping me out there, but really, if I had the 16x20, I'd be pressing 4 items at a time, compared to the 2 items at a time now. It would really cut back on my production time (when I am working!) :)

All worth reiterating... so hopefully the OP can see, they really have to decide for themselves - as the 9x12 can work perfectly fine, I said this earlier, too, and still agree with Sunny and David on this, and yet I can see the advantages of the larger size press, as well.

So don't ask me bc maybe I would own a press in every size if I could afford it! Haha, that's not true, I only own the biggest baddest mama out there, so I could gang my work on there and press *less* and get *more* done! :D

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Kelly, the press is made by Cliff Hix engineering(the original owner of Hix). The press is a 16x20 (single press) with a cantilever platen. This thing is awesome,but way to much money for a "poor boy like me" .... JB

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
:D Something is reminding me of the opening lines of Steve Martin "The Jerk"... that was a great movie, thanks for the flashback! :)

I'll have to take a peek at this cantilever press... see what it is.
One day, JB, maybe one day... lol. :)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
O ya dont forget to get some Transfer paper if you are doing light color shirts then I would use JPSS!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts