T-Shirt Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am paying my attorney $300 for each design that I have on my T-shirts for copyrighting. Is there a cheaper way to go?

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Do it yourself!!

The website Rodney gave you has great directions. Just follow them and double-check everything you turn in.

I've done it a few times with no issues. Got my certificates with no problems.

Eric :cool:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Why waste your money, if someone steals your design it would cost a fortune to sue them, then your return is less that what you spent in court in most cases. Be the first one out there and sell it, then move on. My opinion, John

·
Registered
84 Posts
Why waste your money, if someone steals your design it would cost a fortune to sue them, then your return is less that what you spent in court in most cases. Be the first one out there and sell it, then move on. My opinion, John
Well in that case, have any designs I can browse? ;):p

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Advice above is sound, but to put it more simply... wow, you're getting ripped off.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Well in that case, have any designs I can browse? ;):p
That was my attempt at dry humor, but a lot of truth in it. You can send a Cease and Desist letter and see what they say or do.

Taking it to court costs a lot of money.

We had a competitor contact us about a third party had copied one of his and one of our shirts exactly and had it on there web site. We both sent letters and the next day our shirts were not on there site. They had the art recreated and didn't change anything not even the colors, just removed our logo a copyright C.

Rodney gave you the tools you need to copyright for the least expensive way, use them. Theirs also a link in the resources on the left navigation bar for copyright.
John :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here's an ideal someone shared with me. He says that this method is legal and works, but I'm not 100%...maybe someone can confirm....

Anyway, rather than spend $200-300 per design, you just create a 'book' containing ALL of your designs and copyright the book. That supposedly covers all designs/illustrations under one umbrella, giving you rights to reproduce them however you see fit...like on a t-shirt.

Seems to make sense, but I'm not a lawyer and I haven't tried it...anyone know if this might work?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Anyway, rather than spend $200-300 per design, you just create a 'book' containing ALL of your designs and copyright the book. That supposedly covers all designs/illustrations under one umbrella, giving you rights to reproduce them however you see fit...like on a t-shirt.

Seems to make sense, but I'm not a lawyer and I haven't tried it...anyone know if this might work?
This is true at least for clipart and so i don't see why you can't do it for t-shirt designs.

I've copyrighted several of my own works which included clipart, photos and text. I registered the Kit under a name and all images, clipart, etc. in the kit are protected.

However, if you want even more protection then you can copyright each design but i would before doing that "copyright everything" in one sweep". When you find a specific design is really catching on then you can copyright it "individually" for even more protection.

But as one poster put it if the person copies your work it's very expensive to go after them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.