T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to screen printing. Im running a few test right now but i keep getting this type of double image bleeding. Im using Union ultra soft black ink on 110 mesh with 60/65 squeegee. what am i doing wrong? thanks in advance
!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I use 155 mesh screens as my standard mesh count and don't use a small squeege angle and don't push hard to try to force the ink through the screen. I think think this will give you better results. And don't start adding anything to your ink, use it right out of the can. It's a mesh problem and a squeege force problem.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Is the first shirt, and perhaps the second shirt nice and crisp and the problem develops on successive shirts? - Scotty
Ok, the look of it you are using Waterbase ink. The problem may occur on ink build-up underneath your screen cause by successive push and pull of ink when printing.

Try pressing on a pull stroke, and do not press when you push your ink back.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Don't use 110 mesh... Union Ultrasoft Black is not very thick. Go with a 156 or higher. Also don't force the ink through the screen when you flood since it is so thin.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You may also have to adjust screen, your screen may need to be adjusted a little bit higher off contact.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Either you have very low screen tension or the press is not adjusted properly. The up and down shadow can result from varing squegee pressure, but the side to side shadow is almost always a press not registering problem. God Bless.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
this looks like to much flood ink in the screen.....using a 110 mesh screen and flooding the image area is a recipe for disaster......use 230 mesh for this image......if you must flood the print area , use as little pressure as you can to flood ...also make sure your off contact is set correctly.

Inked

·
Registered
79 Posts
1. you may try one quick pass on the first print and flash dry it first before going to the second pass and if you started with pull stroke then it should be the same for the rest of the passes.
2. i hope there is an adhesive on the platen.
3. thicken your ink (put some thickener solvent) because the way i look at it is because of the kind of cloth your are using especially when its a p100% cotton
4. relax when doing the stroke. not too hard and not too light. feel the the screen and the cloth when doing the stroke because most of the time it's not the set up that is causing some problem its more on how you blend with your squeegee. It may sound dramatic but you will feel that as you go along.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. Is there a better thicker ink I can use? I have a bunch of 110 screens and don't plan on buying any anytime soon. Perhaps go up to a 70/75 squeegee? If not where do u find thickiner solvent? I never heard of that, only the reducer. But I will give it a try first with the lighter strokes.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you do not want to use a higher mesh count, which you should, then use a more rigid squeegee. If your screen is a static screen, ie. not retensionable, then you will need to increase your off contact to compensate for low screen tension. Make sure that you only print in one direction: either push (which is preferable in this case because you can more easily increase your stroke speed) or pull, but not both. One print stroke should be sufficient, firm and quick. Do not flood the screen. Begin your print stroke by moving enough ink to give yourself a good print. If you need to print a second stroke, do so without any flood or additional ink on your squeegee, and just move the ink that is sitting in your screen. Long story short: higher mesh count, higher screen tension, stiffer squeegee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts