T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing heat transfers (heat press) and Clip Art graphics and lettering using a vinyl cutter. I would like to expand my business. I have looked into different ideas, but I'm not sure what I should do next. Based on all the skill and experience in this forum, what is the next logical step? I would like to be able to offer more complex shirt logos than just clip art, but again what is the best way to go? I welcome and respect your feedback as I plan my next business upgrade. Thank you.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have been doing heat transfers (heat press) and Clip Art graphics and lettering using a vinyl cutter. I would like to expand my business. I have looked into different ideas, but I'm not sure what I should do next. Based on all the skill and experience in this forum, what is the next logical step? I would like to be able to offer more complex shirt logos than just clip art, but again what is the best way to go? I welcome and respect your feedback as I plan my next business upgrade. Thank you.
It depends on what you want to do. If you're doing small runs and one-offs, then I'd work on expanding your skills with vector art so you can get the most out of your cutter. I use Illustrator and do fairly complex custom vectors all the time, and my customers love them. I even have requests for vinyl instead of screen printing, and they are willing to pay a premium for it, as it's a high quality fashion material.

If you're wanting to do larger runs, then you need to move into either screen printing or DTG. Screen printing is way cheaper - you can get a Ryonet Silver for around $350, and another $700 or so for all the other associated equipment to get started, assuming you build your own washout booth, screen drying box, and exposure unit (I did, and none of it is hard with basic carpentry skills).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. You have given me some food for thought. Without investing too much more in equipment, maybe look into doing more with the cutter. My skills ends with doing same color clip art. Do you do complex color logos? I was wondering how that would work. Thank you.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thank you for your reply. You have given me some food for thought. Without investing too much more in equipment, maybe look into doing more with the cutter. My skills ends with doing same color clip art. Do you do complex color logos? I was wondering how that would work. Thank you.
I've done up to 3 colors layered, and 5 colors that didn't touch. It's definitely a pain, though, and I wouldn't want to do it for large runs. Most of what my customers want involves live tracing in Illustrator - converting raster images to vector for 1 and 2 color designs.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
there are a lot of things you can do with a cutter than just garments, too. check some of that out and you may be inspired. :)

as for heat transfers, we rarely use them to do shirts. since our core business is a trophy shop, we use transfers all the time to make plaques, 'mylar' inserts, dash plaques, nametags....

for us, screen printing was the next logical progression from trophies. well, perhaps vinyl would have been more appropriate, but that's not what fell into our laps, lol. had i 'only' a cutter, for me, i would go to the big flea market and set up on the weekends. the people there always seem to be busy cutting out something or other. lots of good contacts to be made there, too.

as far as what's the next logical method, i would venture to say you might look into plastisol transfers, or, as mentioned, a screen printing starter kit if money is an issue (i always say a $1000 and be prepared to build a couple of simple things to begin with if you're stretching your dollar, because extra screens, ink, emulsion, squeegees, chemicals, etc., add up real fast). i would trade it all for a dtg because that's more in tune with my longer term goals while still being able to pump out the small jobs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.