T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So other than a federal tax ID is there any other IDs that I need to print on shirts and sell them wholesale/retail? I understand that I wont be charging sales tax because I am not selling the stuff to consumers but I have heard people talking about, manifacturing IDs and licences and other stuff like that.....do i have to worry about selling in other states either? I will be selling to boutiques all over the country....do I have to worry about anything for that?

·
Registered
45 Posts
First, you do not print your federal EIN ID# on the shirts. This an IRS #. And the first number you apply for.

If you are relabeling your shirts with your private labels, your labels must include your RN#. This # is available without charge through the Federal Trade Commission. If you are not private labeling, then leave the tags alone. The existing tag should have a RN # which is sufficient.

You will need a state ID # and a state tax ID # if you take a salary or have any employees.

Your state will require you to register for a tax resale # . You pay sales tax on every sale made to customers in your state or any other state in which your company has a physical pressence such as a warehouse, branch office or shipping center. If you sell wholesale quantities to customers who will resell your merchandise, you must have your customers fill out forms stating that they are resellers and you must keep these records on file. You must still report these sales but they are listed on separate lines on the tax forms from your "street" sales. If you are selling to stores in your state, check with your states tax office about who pays sales tax. You on the wholesale amount or the vendor on the retail amount. In some states, it's split between the two entities. With out of state sales, the best CYA policy is to have everyone fill out a certificate of resale and keep it on file.

Your state and or local community will probably require a business license even if you are working out of your home. Check with your local government.

Best of luck,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts