T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For example you see a design on a shirt you like on another site. Are you allowed ot make a similar design, use the same text, similar text, etc...?

For example that popular shirt with bush's image that says international terrorist. Are we allowed to make a similar shirt with a different image of bush?

Are we allowed to use images of bush on shirts or does it have to be custom rendered in photoshop or..?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I guess so, but Id be pissed if someone stole something I took alot of time and effort designing, wouldnt you! It can be hard thinking of stuff that hasnt been done before, but thats the whole fun of designing, being original and creating great ideas.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
tshirtworld said:
For example you see a design on a shirt you like on another site. Are you allowed ot make a similar design, use the same text, similar text, etc...?
I would not recommend this at all.

While I'm not a laywer, I would consider it theft of intellectual property.

Come up with something original to promote, that way you won't have to worry about copying others and whether or not it's allowed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't feel you should use someone else's ideas and designs. I think we, as artists, knowing how much work goes into implementing an idea into a design; should be the first ones to respect and honor another's work. If we don't respect our own artistic community, why should we expect others to do so? I also think it would be considered theft of intellectual property.

I don't really know what the laws are on pictures of politicians. I don't do that type of design, so I haven't really looked into it. I have heard they are "fair game" (so to speak). I"ll leave that one up to someone who knows.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
If you really want to steal a few shirt ideas, the only ones I'd suggest stealing would be semi-popular quotes (without art) you already see at several different shirt companies. These are already out in the open and it's basically impossible to copyright a quote like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think using something you have seen as an inspiration for a new twist can be good, but you have to be careful that the twist is different and not something that's almost a copy. Where the line is between a new twist and a copycat idea is somewhat open to question in my opinion. I agree with Rodney that something totally original is best, but an origanal new twist can be okay too.

Kent

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Twinge said:
If you really want to steal a few shirt ideas, the only ones I'd suggest stealing would be semi-popular quotes (without art) you already see at several different shirt companies. These are already out in the open and it's basically impossible to copyright a quote like that.
I don't think we should encourage anybody to steal anybody elses designs.

Although you can't copyright a quote, you can "trademark" a quote, and a lot of the popular phrases are trademarked.

Make sure you do your research before deciding which designs to sell.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh man...This is an expensive lesson. Trust me. I have to agree with Rodney on this one. It's "simply" not worth the risk. "Look and Feel" is the terminology nowadays. "It has also been held to be an infringement when copying the overall pattern and arrangement of a work, the “look and feel” of the work. In the related area of trademark law, “look and feel” would be considered “trade dress,” and there are a few cases which do protect an artist’s rights under “trade dress.” In the literary field, paraphrasing has been held to be infringing. It is an open question as how paraphrasing would be interpreted in the context of an artwork." if that isn't enough for ya PLEASE check out http://artcc.org/home.html Ok Ok off the soap box...nuf said. GOT LAWSUIT? Sorry... had to throw that in. I'm "really" done now. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
tshirtworld said:
Are we allowed to use images of bush on shirts or does it have to be custom rendered in photoshop or..?
Presidents are fair game... they are elected officials. As for copying other peoples work... tisk tisk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
DickTees.net said:
Presidents are fair game... they are elected officials.
While presidents are fair game, you should be careful about which pictures of them you use. News services tend to protect their copyrights rather strictly. Of course, everyone seems to be able to find a Bush head or two floating around somewhere...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts