T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were designing artwork just for a specific size T-shirt, how wide would you make it for an L? For an XL? For an XXL?

·
Administrator
14,483 Posts
My maximum width for all 3 would be 13 inches.

If you are trying to find the maximum width for each of those sizes; I would measure the shirt chest width from arm seam to arm seam and subtract 6 inches. You will get different measurements depending on the shirt brand you use.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You say "maximum"; is the maximum width also what you consider to be the ideal width in terms of appearance?

·
Administrator
14,483 Posts
You say "maximum"; is the maximum width also what you consider to be the ideal width in terms of appearance?
There is no hard and fast rule on that. It really all depends on your design. Some design display better the larger they are, many do not.

You should take each of your designs individually, mock up maximum size and start reducing the size until you see what looks best.

·
Registered
13 Posts
splathead has a good point, sizing can be unique to each design.

For example, I run most artwork at 12"-13" for Adult Large shirts - unless it's circular in shape. Circular artwork (arched text, sports with "balls" lol) come out looking too large at 12"-13".

It's all about context, bro!

·
Registered
679 Posts
splathead has a good point, sizing can be unique to each design.

For example, I run most artwork at 12"-13" for Adult Large shirts - unless it's circular in shape. Circular artwork (arched text, sports with "balls" lol) come out looking too large at 12"-13".

It's all about context, bro!
Precisely, I concur. The sizing really depends on the design. What you can do as a test prior to actually printing onto a shirt, is to print the design on inkjet paper, cut it out with scissors & arrange it on top of a shirt. It's really up to personal preference how large the design should be..

Now placement, there are some guidelines for those..

·
Registered
996 Posts
My designs usualy come out to adv. 12". This takes in all sizes as I tell my customers that one size fits all. Works out ok for me

·
Registered
508 Posts
all depends on design, I always size mine for as max size as possible on a small, ususally looks fine on everything else

1 - 8 of 8 Posts