T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting to dip my feet into sub-dye and mostly want to use it for some fun local crafts so I snagged a brother MFC-J485DW for under $50, converted it with some cartridges from ink owl, and got some dye off ebay. I understand that a higher quality printer or brand name dyes will look better, but for practicing on different substrates and making fun stuff for my kids for now, I didn't want to put out a huge expense.

That being said, I know that this set up should be able to produce some pretty cool stuff but I'm having the hardest time with colors. My pinks are orange, my blacks light grey, etc. I can't seem to locate an ICC profile for the printer. The ink company didn't supply one and I don't see any for the Texprint paper I am using. I'm not opposed to paying to have one made, but is there a company besides cityexpress in the UK I can send it to? I just want to make some small christmas gifts and don't have a ton of time to wait for mailing the print chart.

Any help with how to make the colors work or where to find an icc profile for the brother?

·
Administrator
15,479 Posts
Color profiles are ink and printer specific. You could have one done, but not sure it's worth the cost for what you intend to do.

An alternative to profiles is to print RGB color charts off the internet, press them to some old white polyester shirts and choose your colors from the chart that matches what color you want.

Cobraink has a video that explains the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HuTj8DbcjU&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Personally, I think you're on a hiding to nothing. At the very least, buy a different printer, probably an Epson. Epsons and Ricoh's are the most supported printers by far.

Also, buy decent inks, not rubbish from ebay. You mentioned CIE here in the UK. I use their inks and they are excellent, as is the free ICC profile they supplied me with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.