T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Epson 1280 just died :( I hadn't used it in a few days and went to turn it on to do some printing and it wouldn't power up. *sighs* I've had it for a little over a year and had NO problems at all. I have it set up to run my dye sub stuff and it worked perfectly a few days ago. Fortunately I have my 4800 but...I LOVE my 1280!! It's great for short runs. I'm thinking the power supply has died...hopefully Epson will help me out with a new supply or a refurb. I don't want to switch to a 1400 so if I can't get it fixed or replaced with another 1280 I'll have to switch to using my 4800.

I know others have had issues with theirs...any ideas what might have happened?

· Registered
4,158 Posts
My Epson 1280 just died :( I hadn't used it in a few days and went to turn it on to do some printing and it wouldn't power up. *sighs* I've had it for a little over a year and had NO problems at all. I have it set up to run my dye sub stuff and it worked perfectly a few days ago. Fortunately I have my 4800 but...I LOVE my 1280!! It's great for short runs. I'm thinking the power supply has died...hopefully Epson will help me out with a new supply or a refurb. I don't want to switch to a 1400 so if I can't get it fixed or replaced with another 1280 I'll have to switch to using my 4800.

know others have had issues with theirs...any ideas what might have happened?
It just decided to stop working. happemns. Have you looked at the new 1900. They stopped making the 1280 years ago.

· Registered
129 Posts
Methinks your PSU has died

You love your 1280 ? I can't imagine why - it's sloooower than a corrupt politician in leaving office...........

Your power supply is most likely fried (it's at the back under the paper in tray).

Do NOT under any circumstances by a 1900 - they are fraught with problem which only start occurring a few months after purchase (generally after 6-8 months). The 1400 is a far better printer, with less hassles, and unlike the 1900 can actually do a decent greyscale image.

· Registered
4,158 Posts
Re: Methinks your PSU has died

You love your 1280 ? I can't imagine why - it's sloooower than a corrupt politician in leaving office...........

Your power supply is most likely fried (it's at the back under the paper in tray).

Do NOT under any circumstances by a 1900 - they are fraught with problem which only start occurring a few months after purchase (generally after 6-8 months). The 1400 is a far better printer, with less hassles, and unlike the 1900 can actually do a decent greyscale image.
As I don't own a 1900 but the difference is the type of ink the 2 units use. If you buy a 1400 then you should get a cis system because it uses dye based inks. The 1900 used pigment inks. I have not heard of anyone having problems with the 1900. It replaces the 1800 and the old 1280. Lou

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol...I love it because it never caused me problems...EVER. I've gone through several C88's, had a few issues with my 4800 but not a single problem with my 1280. Yes it's slow but as I said, I only used it for small runs and it was always consistent. I use refillable carts with it so that means if I get a different model I'll have to replace those as well.

Ah well...I guess I'll look at the 1900 as I don't want to deal with another CIS...Thanks Lou!

· Premium Member
7,895 Posts
lol...I love it because it never caused me problems...EVER. I've gone through several C88's, had a few issues with my 4800 but not a single problem with my 1280. Yes it's slow but as I said, I only used it for small runs and it was always consistent. I use refillable carts with it so that means if I get a different model I'll have to replace those as well.

Ah well...I guess I'll look at the 1900 as I don't want to deal with another CIS...Thanks Lou!
Wow, Dawn, the 1900 is $499 on epson.com. The 1400 is $299 new, and the refurbs are $179.00. Here's a link to that:
Epson Stylus Photo 1400 - Refurbished, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

You could buy either one of those 1400's and get a refill cart system from inkjetcarts.us or shopdyesub.com or inkjetfly and *still* save a bunch of money. Just a thought for you.

Btw, folks do use the 1400 with the Claria ink that comes with it for transfers. It's a dye, but it is not a regular photographic dye. It is a HiDef "water resistant" dye. If you do a search on "Claria ink" you'll see the feedback from users.

Claria works for most, but not all, but then again, Durabrite works for most, but not all (colorshifts, ya know?).

Anyway, before you go to the expensive 1900, unless there is something you absolutely need about that printer, think about giving the 1400 and a refill system a good look over.

Also, I've seen folks selling their 1280's in the classified section here. You may be able to snag someone else's. http://www.t-shirtforums.com/tf-classifieds/t58611.html#post348014. There's also Ebay if you want another 1280.

Best wishes whatever you decide to do...

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kelly, I'm gonna weigh my options and see. I may end up not even getting another printer for a while. After all I do have my 4800 (set to do dye sub and regular transfers) and my C88. I'm one of those who has been using Durabrite with no problems...guess I've been lucky with that and the 1280. I'm not opposed to the 1400, I've definitely read good things about the Claria inks on here.

I guess more than anything, I just got a little frustrated because I had everything exactly how I wanted it and it's been working great for me for so long, then BAM. Oh well, I guess it happens to us all at some point...things just go wacko for no apparent reason. I'll survive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.