T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished making my website in dreamweaver...i want to know if its slow in other computers or if its cool...any feedback too..about the music or no music..i put the option to press play before it starts

·
Registered
64 Posts
No music. People listen to their own music so blaring your music at them is a bad first impression and will result in people leaving your site.

Secondly, it sounds like you got some bad information regarding links. You WANT people to link to your website from theirs. This will increase your search engine ranking. Read this for some more basics.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
No on the music, it really has a tendency of turning off potential customers. When I go to a site that I am interested in and their is music the first thing i look for is the off button.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I don't like music on sites either. I may like the shirt or whatever i plan to buy but not necessarily their taste in music so it is best not offend anyone and kill the music. Just because you feel the music fits the theme of the site does not mean everyone will agree

·
Registered
290 Posts
No for the music. Increases load time in most cases and most just turn it off.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went over this in another thread the other day..

Why do you want to subject your potential customers to listen to music they might not like? This is simply driving customers away.

It doesn't matter if YOU think it fits your image or style, let your customer determine what the style is. You don't want to box yourself into an even smaller group of potentials.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I went over this in another thread the other day..

Why do you want to subject your potential customers to listen to music they might not like? This is simply driving customers away.

It doesn't matter if YOU think it fits your image or style, let your customer determine what the style is. You don't want to box yourself into an even smaller group of potentials.
I agree, a better place for music that goes with your branding would be in videos on your site. Still you probably want something that would be suitable for a wider range audience so not to hang or date yourself. Most retail stores do have music while you shop and it is targeted to the demographic. This is why I may feel more comfortable in UrbaN Outfitters and cant stand abercrombie. Either way when the underground hits retail its now sub-mainstream and no longer cool.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
In design school we learned that there are very few instances that you use music on a website. The risk of driving your customer away versus the reward of them actually liking your music is too great. In this instance the music is optional which further distracts them from the main goal of them being on your site which is buying merch.

·
Registered
766 Posts
First thing I do when I come to a site with music is look for some means on the site to disable it. Yes I can mute my PC, but if the music can't be muted on the site itself I leave immediately. Same thing goes with ridiculous FLASH versions of the page. If I can't get to straight HTML or simple no nonsense CSS, I don't spend a lot of time there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree, a better place for music that goes with your branding would be in videos on your site. Still you probably want something that would be suitable for a wider range audience so not to hang or date yourself. Most retail stores do have music while you shop and it is targeted to the demographic. This is why I may feel more comfortable in UrbaN Outfitters and cant stand abercrombie. Either way when the underground hits retail its now sub-mainstream and no longer cool.
Exactly.. The difference, however, between retail stores and websites (in regards to music) is that retail stores usually have music as a background noise behind normal conversation, interaction and general hustle and bustle of stores. In other words, you're already experiencing a lot of auditory stimulation.

When visiting a website, you're most often in the comfort of your own home, in an environment that doesn't normally have as much background noise. When you open a website in such an environment, you're almost fixated on the noise coming from your speakers, as apposed to that sound being a compliment to your surroundings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree. I am not much of a fan of going to sites that have music on them. More often than not, it scares the crap out of me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I gotta be honest, I hate sites with music players that automatically come up. I even hate myspace pages like that! Music, sounds, flash and tricked upness has me leaving a site within the first 30 secs. When it comes down to it, all the viewer needs is clean layout and obvious links. You can make any "plain" site dynamic, if it's simple, clean and easy to navigate.

Thats just my 2 cents...

http://furfaceboy.com

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its like nobody here read my original post...!! I said i disabled it and have the play option only if the visitor chooses to play it.!!! Ive already heard about all that other talk music being bad....anyways i think that putting your personal favorite music does not work ...instead i put a nice calm track that goes along with the theme...if ive picked a demographic why would i want to widen my audience and appeal to a wider audience rather then my demographics and staying true to my roots of business??!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts