T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the cost of rent, supplies, machines etc... to deal with. I am doing ok moving the product but I was wondering if I could get a company to do all of my printing for me so that I could focus on marketing. If the cost to have them to do it was low enough and the quality was good then it seems I would be freed up to market more. With that being said is it a good idea to look for a company to do that work for me? If so which companies are worth talking to?

· Registered
6,511 Posts
JCL,

It doesn't have to be a big company if they give you a good price. Even if they don't and you can still move the products that's all that counts.

You can also print yourself and hire a salesperson. You can also bring in a young person, teach them how to screen print, and then you go out and sell.

Where are you located? Maybe someone on this forum is close to you already.

· Registered
320 Posts
I contract all of my screen printing & embroidery to companies I trust so I don't get tied up printing instead of working with customers. I do some heat press work on quantities less than 30 if it is for a good customer that runs larger orders but I hate to do it and it is usually just a break even deal. I feel my time is better spent in front of the customer but you will have to make that decision for yourself depending on your situation.

· Banned
17 Posts
I was wondering if I could get a company to do all of my printing for me so that I could focus on marketing. If the cost to have them to do it was low enough and the quality was good then it seems I would be freed up to market more.

Many small companies and many large companies outsource there work to companies that do the complete package for them. Even if you are getting all the hoodies produced by outsourcing and then just doing the screen printing finding a more economical supplier and having the whole job done for you will be better than doing it yourself. This way it frees up an unbelievable amount of time where you can then only market your product which at the end of the day is what you need to be doing in this fast moving market.

The person who is outsourcing is more likely to be making the big money more than the person who is slaving away at the screen printing press. For one offs and non standardised prints you will need to screen print but if you can get your systems running well and sell more bulk than one offs then that is where the money inevitably is. Getting your stuff selling in a boutique or one of the bigger superstores has to be the goal of all unless you are just doing this for a hobby of course.

· Banned
17 Posts
Yes, true, but hiring people also costs money. There is a fine line between doing it yourself, employing people and outsourcing but once you have made the jump to outsourcing and having a well made product without your own excess waste and overheads then you can employ people with the confidence in your product and the near confidence that you will be able to pay your staff in the coming months and years.

It is a choice one day that every successful start at home t-shirt printer will have to make as you grow sometimes your production capacity can not keep up with the output required and at this stage the shift to outsourcing is almost always inevitable. If you are making a few t-shirts a week then obviously outsourcing will neither be economically feasible nor required. You are the judge of this at the end of the day.

· Registered
6,511 Posts
Pismo,

Not all people want to screen print forever. Though I love it, sometimes I get down in the dumps when my wife and daughter want to go out and I have an order to finish. It can really take up your time.

Turk, Hiring a salesperson can be done with Commission. Also hiring a screen printer would be the same as Outsourcing. The outsourcer isn't going to do it for free?

You could hiring a temp screen printer. I've done so in the past. I'd prefer to hire someone I can teach, and call them back when I have enough work for them. Better yet, just let them clean your screens or outsource that portion of it.

I use to clean the screens, expose them, and print all in the same day. It took forever. Now I get the screens ready, and have them in the dark room a week in advance. All I do is, Print film, pull a screen, expose it, wash, dry, mount, tape and print. Check offsets too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.