T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this has been bothering me for while. I'm looking to start a small t-shirt business, but I only want to use sweatshop free shirts. I went to Jerico and ordered some samples, but I didnt exactley feel comfortable with their sizes or quality (feels and looks too thin). BUT, one huge pro is there location. They are literally a 15 mintues drive from my house, so I cut cost in many ways.

Since then I have been searching for an alternative, but have not come up with much. What I am basically looking for is a loose fitting "urban" style t-shirt with slightly longer sleeves.

I know some have suggested ProClub, but they have not gotten back to me, probably because I asked if their clothes were sweatshop free (I'm guessing not, by their prompt response)

I know some will suggest Alstyle, but really are they sweatshop free? Made in Mexico of US fabrics? That has sweatshop written all over it. They say NAFTA friendly, but isnt that just a euphemism? On the other hand, they do dedicate a portion of their website to the safe work conditions of their workers yada yada yada.

So, does anyone else know of any other sweatshop free brands that manufacture urban styel t-shirts? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DL

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Re: I need sweatshop free t-shirts...

I think Proclub is made in the USA. I'm not sure if that equals "sweatshop free", but I think it leans in that direction :)

I also think the RoyalGrand line by RoyalApparel.net might be what you're looking for (more full urban cut t-shirts). You can see if their "about us" page meets your sweatshop free requirement (or maybe you can contact them to clarify):
http://www.royalapparel.net/about.php

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
Yes Proclub "Heavyweight" is made in the US, and you could "probably" assume that means sweatshop free.

The "Activewear" is made in Mexico. I still don't know why that is.

If you are dealing directly with Proclub, they will only deal with you if you are ready to order now.

Lots of their people don't speak English very well, and they like to get right down to business!

Your first order with them MUST be over $300 and you MUST spend $6,000 on product in the first 6 months of your account being active or they WILL deactivate your account.

If you are just wanting some Proclubs but don't want to spend $300 on your first order, or you don't think you will buy $6,000 worth in 6 months, there is a good site that sells them wholesale.

You will pay about $10 more per dozen, than if you had an account with Proclub, buy you only have to order a dozen per color, per size at a time.

www.proclubt-shirts.com

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts

Rodney said:
I think Proclub is made in the USA. I'm not sure if that equals "sweatshop free", but I think it leans in that direction :)
If the US is anything like Australia (and I'd say in this respect it is, if not slightly worse even) that means very little. Here it's mostly exploited Vietnamese "outworkers" (read: sweatshop at home), there it would be Central and South American immigrants.

I have no opinion on how Proclub treats its workers, but being made in the USA is not a sufficient indication of being sweatshop free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are garment companies who hire low-wage Chinese workers in Guam and Puerto Rico, so that they can put Made in U.S.A. on their lables. There are documentaries made of this. To make matters worse, these low-wage workers are seperated from their families and homeland. I am not sure if these garment factories make blank t-shirts, but Made in "Developed Country" does not mean sweatshop free.

Conversely, Made in "Developing Country" does not mean it is made in a sweatshop. I've visited enough small t-shirt manufacturers in Asia that are run by several family members. All adults. They are more expensive than mass production manufacturers but are still a good bargain because they are hard working folk who have been in textiles for all their lives and its all they know.

I cannot abide by bonded labour and child labour but I recognise that not every low-wage worker is forced into the job. For many people, it is the best job available to them in their location, at their level of education and ability.

If you want to make sure your source is sweatshop free, I would recommend that you pay them a visit. It would cost time, money and effort but that's the only real assurance.

·
Registered
42 Posts

If the US is anything like Australia (and I'd say in this respect it is, if not slightly worse even) that means very little. Here it's mostly exploited Vietnamese "outworkers" (read: sweatshop at home), there it would be Central and South American immigrants.

I have no opinion on how Proclub treats its workers, but being made in the USA is not a sufficient indication of being sweatshop free.
As Solmu points out, just because garments are "Made in the USA" does not mean they are "sweatshop free". If you want to be sure take a tour and do some research of the manufacturer you are buying from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.