T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new, still experimenting and practicing my methods and which materials I like, etc. However, I am accepting orders from a few folks.

Problem: My first 'real' order as a new business was completed today. I had hoped to drop it off this afternoon but...

One of my 'practice' hoodies came out of the wash w/ half the rhinestones missing!!!!! Now I am afraid to give my customer her t-shirt fearing hers will come off in the wash, too! HELP! How unprofessional. How can I ask for money?

I have made several items w/ vinyl or rhinestones or vinyl AND rhinestones. I wash them all regularly to 'test' their durability...and I purposely don't follow the care instructions I'll give w/ my items (wash inside out, use care when treating stains, dry inside out). Instead I wash/dry them right side out to 'abuse them' to see what they can take. I've had a couple cases of vinyl coming off in parts but never the rhinestones.

Questions:
1. What is the best heat temp for heat pressing rhinestones? I am pressing at 334 degrees on hotronix auto clam.
2. How long should I be pressing? I am doing 19 seconds for vinyl layer and same temp but an add'l 16 second press for rhinestones for a total of 35 seconds @334.
3. Can the rhinestones touch or be on top of the vinyl layer?
3. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...and the sooner, the better. I need to give my customer her t-shirt!...if I need to make another one, I need to get on it fast!

Lisa

· Registered
177 Posts
I press my stones at 380 degrees, for 20 sec. Flip the item inside out and press again for another 10-15 secs. On the hoodies, make sure there is a firm surface so the adhesive can melt into the fabric. I have never pressed stones on vinyl, but I am sure there will be others that will be able to answer. I have pressed on plastisol and every shirt came back due to the stones falling off. Hope this helps, good luck.

· Registered
408 Posts
Pre-heat the press to 325° F (160° C) & set for light to medium pressure.

Lay your shirt on the bed.

Throw a clean t-shirt over the design & close the press for 15 seconds.

If you are using larger stones, close & press again for another 15 seconds.

Remove the shirt and turn over to press one more time.

As to whether the stone will stick to vinyl, for some people it works, but personally, I wouldn't do it. Either put around the vinyl or cut holes for the stones.

· Registered
850 Posts
Yes you don't want to press on Vinyl... They will fall off... DTG printing no problem...

I do 330 for 20 seconds turn inside out for 10 seconds...

I haven't had one come back yet....

I would say if you are not turning them inside out and pressing I would...

The quality of stone could have something to do with it too?...

Kevin

Kevin

· Registered
1,770 Posts
As stated, they will not stick to vinyl or nylon. They will stick to Deco Flock vinyl. I have shirts that are 2/3 years old that I used flock with stones pressed on top. They have not lost a stone and the flock is still in great shape.

· Registered
618 Posts
I also press at 320 degrees for 12 seconds medium pressure. After I peel off the transfer tape I place a teflon sheet over the design and repress for an additional 5 seconds. If you decide to turn the shirt inside out and press the back make sure you leave the transfer tape on or place a teflon sheet between the shirt layers. If the glue seeps out around the rhinestones it may get on the back of the shirt. A teflon sheet will prevent this from happening.

· Registered
15 Posts
I agree with others. I use korean low lead stones or swarovski if requested. I have found that the larger the stone the longer you need to press and with medium to hard pressure. I set my clam press at 334 press garment for 5 seconds, apply transfer, press for 15 seconds, cool to touch, peel transfer sheet and press for additional 10 seconds. I usually have my press on 8 or 9 pressure. I have had no returns. I also have never turned the garment inside out. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using T-Shirt Forums

· Registered
2,125 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that Lisa is using a silicone rhinestone cover sheet which requires a little more time and higher temp than using no cover sheet or just a Teflon sheet.

Quality rhinestones if applied properly should not fall off during washing.
And Ed, she's using the same stones you saw on Rodney's shirt at ISS AC. Did you think those looked like quality rhinestones? ;)

· Registered
1,770 Posts
A good rule of thumb is to ALWAYS put some kind of protective sheet/pillow inside the item or under if you turn it inside out and follow pressing instructions. I press for approx 17 to 20 sec for first press and then repress for 8. Never had an issue with stones not sticking. Pressing temp for me is 320 and medium pressure.

· Registered
618 Posts
Is there such thing as pressing for too long? Will all the glue seep into the fabric with not enough left to hold the stone?
I was told a while back that if you press for too long or too hot of a temperature you can start to burn off the glue. If you choose to press at a high heat you should not have to press very long unless perhaps your cover sheet is thicker than the teflon sheet or kraft paper.

· Registered
229 Posts
I almost never press from the inside of the shirt. The only time I have had issues with stones not sticking is on premade transfers that I have bought....so most certainly that is due to low quality stones/glue. I have never had one of my shirts come back due to the stones not sticking and I use a variety of settings...but typically around 330-340 for 12-15 seconds. Sometimes I will peel tape and then do a second quick press (but not from the inside).

Your stones probably are coming off due to the fact that you put them directly on top of the vinyl. Can't do that....they don't stick (as you have found out)

· Registered
471 Posts
Everyone does it differently, as you can see, but I'm going to throw in my two cents because I have shirts and hoodies I have washed and dried myself now many, many times over a couple of years and have not lost a stone.

I press at 330 for 20 seconds. Peel off transfer tape. Press another 10 seconds.

I was turning inside out for the second press very briefly, but I messed up a couple of shirts with glue dots that way, so I stopped doing that.

· Registered
2,125 Posts
Is there such thing as pressing for too long? Will all the glue seep into the fabric with not enough left to hold the stone?
Yes, absolutely. If you press too long, the glue can also ooze out the side of the stones leaving an ugly mess between the stones and not enough glue between them and the shirt.

· Registered
121 Posts
Friends, I am wireless and at a baseball tournament and I have an AWESOME baseball transfer that I want to apply but no heat press yet. I KNOW I am taking a big chance if I use a home iron, but I really want this one design for tomorrow (hello! Sales!!) at this tournament. Who has tips for me to be able to use an iron at home on this one shirt?? Help!

Sent wirelessly VIA Tapatalk.

· Registered
2,125 Posts
Friends, I am wireless and at a baseball tournament and I have an AWESOME baseball transfer that I want to apply but no heat press yet. I KNOW I am taking a big chance if I use a home iron, but I really want this one design for tomorrow (hello! Sales!!) at this tournament. Who has tips for me to be able to use an iron at home on this one shirt?? Help!

Is it for you to wear yourself?

If so, you can iron it really carefully. I would iron right on top of the transfer and then turn it inside out and iron it from the inside, too.

Wait for it to cool and then peel the transfer tape off. Then iron it inside out again. Be sure that you don't have the stones touching the back of the shirt when you iron it inside out or the glue can leak out and get on the back of the shirt.

· Registered
121 Posts
Yes, it's my own... I have home ironed the designs I've done by hand for years, but those are always swarovski crystals and I have been really thorough and touched up any loose stones with my hot fix tool... I don't know about Korean stones, etc...

I just want to get it on to help with the ordering process since everyone wants to see it!

Thanks Stephanie!!!

· Registered
97 Posts
I used a dry iron without steam holes, with a polished solid soleplate, for years when hand placing Swarovski crystals. It still comes in handy for the occasional oddly-placed design (sleeves, etc).

I know the feeling of being excited to get a shirt ready for an event, so that the orders can start rolling in, but do you really want to have people placing and waiting for orders before you get your heat press set up? That could cause some undue stress. I went through a bit of a learning curve when I bought my heat press. There are some logistics that I didn't initially think of, such as which outlet can it safely be plugged into (arcing wires not only dim the lights, but are also a major fire hazard), can it stay set up in that room, does it need to be movable? They weigh about 100 pounds, so that can be a major consideration. Do I have all the accessories I need, such as teflon pillows and sheet, etc?

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer on your new venture, because you might have everything already figured out. I just wish I had realized some of these things before I started.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.