T-Shirt Forums banner

I need INCREASE the size of my platen! fast!

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  orangealexander 
#1 ·
I recently bought a new screen w/ a mesh count of 83. I eventually would like a automatic press, so I invest in screens that will fit the autopress. However, once I put the image on the screen, a small percentage of the top of the image flows over the front of the platen. Is there a way I can extend the end of my platen without having to buy a new one?? sheet metal? any help is appreciated!

Steve

#2 ·
83 seems like a real low mesh count. What are you printing through an 83?

Seems to me like it would be simpler to reduce the size of your stencil/image than it would be to jimmy something onto your platen to make it larger. I've heard of people making larger platens out of smaller ones, but frankly, from a quality perspective, it seems to me like it would be kind of tough to do well (at least with my skills).

#4 ·
Go to Lowes/HD and buy some melamine covered MDF which you can find in the shelving section. Trace your old platen and extend the back several inches. Cut out with a jigsaw or whatever you have available. Remove the mounting gear from your old platen and screw to your new platen.

#6 ·
I had a job once where I had to do large images on sweat pant legs. Your typical sleeve board was not big enough so I went to Home Depot, bought that shelf board and made an identical twin that was 3 times the size. For those of you that watched "Home Improvement" with Tim Allen, I built this thing "Binford Style" haha.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.