T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm an experienced screen printer with a lot of knowledge in that area. I just jumped on the cutter bandwagon and purchased a GCC expert 24 LX. I love it and think it cuts great but I need some help. I've only used it a couple of times because I never know where it is going to start cutting and i'm just wasting vinyl by having stickers cut in the wrong places. I'm using great cut and need to know how to choose where it is going to start cutting. I want to be able to cut a whole bunch of stickers at once out of the material but since I don't know where it's going to start, and what part of the graphic it will start cutting first, that isn't possible for me.

Do the 9 clickable boxes at the top of the great cut toolbar determine where the image will cut and in what direction?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

· Registered
2,285 Posts
Hey all. I'm an experienced screen printer with a lot of knowledge in that area. I just jumped on the cutter bandwagon and purchased a GCC expert 24 LX. I love it and think it cuts great but I need some help. I've only used it a couple of times because I never know where it is going to start cutting and i'm just wasting vinyl by having stickers cut in the wrong places. I'm using great cut and need to know how to choose where it is going to start cutting. I want to be able to cut a whole bunch of stickers at once out of the material but since I don't know where it's going to start, and what part of the graphic it will start cutting first, that isn't possible for me.

Do the 9 clickable boxes at the top of the great cut toolbar determine where the image will cut and in what direction?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Where it will start is where you set the origin (on the cutter)
How it will run...I do not great cut on this computer

But look for "sort with simulation" this way you can see how the cutter also in the help section of the menu you will explain

· Registered
238 Posts
I recently got a 24 lx also. I had the same problem for a little while. I started to use the preview function on the output screen and it helped some. I then found if I would line the vinyl up with the front of the cutter strip and pinch it down, then turn on the power and it would set a correct origin. Or at least start at the front of the vinyl and not have any waste. I am sure this is not the proper way but I will have to wait a few days until I can get in touch with the seller and get some help. I have odd work hours so it is not his fault or the cutters; just my lack of knowledge. I do not know if that helps but it does work.

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I do set the origin on the actual cutter but it still rolls the vinyl in or out before it cuts instead of just letting it cut at the end of it and leave no waste. any ideas on that? Littlefatbuddy I will try what you said and see how that goes. Part of the problem is that my auto unroll setting is disabled but when I turn the power on it shoots the vinyl all the way out of the back of the machine. Any ideas?

· Registered
177 Posts
You need to set the origin on your cutter and then place the design on greatcut to the very far bottom left of the mat. If your having trouble give gcc a call and they can walk you through it. I have a expert 24lx and can cut up to 20 decals at once without a problem

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is set to disable on the auto unroll and it still seems to do it. Can anyone tell me what the 9 clickable boxes in the great cut toolbar are and which one of the nine should be clicked?

· Registered
614 Posts
not sure what you mean by the 9 items in tool bar. Heres my workflow that has worked for me.
First load cutter while off, secure rollers, turn cutter on making sure usb is connected.
open VLCD and choose 24 lX hit connect. adjust settings as needed. disable auto unroll.
on cuttermake sure on off light is off, move blade carriage to desired spot, roll or unroll vinyl to desired spot as well if needed. hit origin set button. then bring cutter online (green light on)
open design image (I use AI) when ready to cut I select ALL and copy.
in GC paste image on bottom left corner.
To cut choose the knife looking icon on the end. this opens the cutter window.
Choose the settings you desire. If you wanna check image before hit preview. make sure setting are same as your VLCD settings for speed, pressure etc.
Hit output. cutter should begin cutting.

The only thing I have checked is weed box or no box. The only things I change are pressure, speed, or vinyl colors if cutting by colors in the cut dialog box just before cutting. These setting have always worked for me.

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
perfect. Thanks a lot. I'll follow the list and let you know how it worked. I did have successful cut in the area that I wanted it in today so that's a step in the right direction. Haha Thanks again folks

· Registered
238 Posts
perfect. Thanks a lot. I'll follow the list and let you know how it worked. I did have successful cut in the area that I wanted it in today so that's a step in the right direction. Haha Thanks again folks
Jeff I do exactly the same thing Matt mentioned in his post. I am still playing with the Greatcut software and have not started the Winpc yet. I use corel x6 but still just copy and paste to greatcut. I think I have read that x6 is now compatible with greatcut, as far as adding the icon to the taskbar, but I have not figured that either. I plan to breach Winpc tomorrow. I need patience and luck if anyone has any of that laying around.

· Registered
1,649 Posts
My GCC expert 24 lx cutter keeps saying error I just got it and cant do anything with it because no matter what I do It says error and binking! what do i do heeeelllpppp!!!!!!!
Start at the beginning

1. Turn the cutter off
  2. Remove any vinyl you have loaded
  3. Verify the cutter is connected via USB using the same USB port you used when you installed the device driver
  4. Open Great Cut
  5. Load vinyl making sure the outside edges of the vinyl fall under the white sections marked above the roller bar
  6. Move outside rollers so they are on the vinyl close to the edges and are also inside the areas marked in white and lock them down
  7. Move the center roller to a white area and lock it down
  8. Turn the cutter on
  9. The cutter head should cycle all the way to the right then all the way to the left and back again to the right.
You should then be able to send a small test file.

· Registered
1 Posts
Start at the beginning

1. Turn the cutter off
  2. Remove any vinyl you have loaded
  3. Verify the cutter is connected via USB using the same USB port you used when you installed the device driver
  4. Open Great Cut
  5. Load vinyl making sure the outside edges of the vinyl fall under the white sections marked above the roller bar
  6. Move outside rollers so they are on the vinyl close to the edges and are also inside the areas marked in white and lock them down
  7. Move the center roller to a white area and lock it down
  8. Turn the cutter on
  9. The cutter head should cycle all the way to the right then all the way to the left and back again to the right.
You should then be able to send a small test file.
To add to this...
once the material/vinyl is loaded in, I align it along one of the horizontal white measuring strips, then lock down the roller bars.

1. At this point, with the machine turned on, press the On/Off Line button to take the machine "off-line", then use the arrow buttons to position the vinyl where you want it, so that the cutter head is at the front, right starting point you want, then press the Origin Set button. This is where your cutter will begin cutting.

2. Then press the On/Off Line button to bring the machine back on-line.

3.Then press the Origin Set button three times (one press per second for three seconds seems to work well). This will make the cutter head cycle back and forth to find the left and right edges of your vinyl. Now the machine knows how wide the material/vinyl is, and where the starting point is.

Once you have made your first cut job, and you want to begin the next one, with the least amount of waste, repeat step 1 & 2 to re-align the cutter head to the front, right position where you want the next cut to begin. DO NOT DO step 3 this time. Now the next cut will not cut to the right of where you have the cutter head positioned to start (it will act as if that starting position is the edge of the material/vinyl).

I'm new at this and so far I have not tried the transfer material, only cutting sticker vinyl. I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but it is not easy to find detailed instructions for some things. Hope this helps someone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.