T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Ayla and I have just became a member to this site. Starting with the end in mind I have the desire to make custom apparel for other businesses like donut shops, tire shop, day care and things like that. I also want to make vinyl decals for windows. What type of equipment do, I need to achieve those thing on an entry level?
I have a 16 x 20 Hotronix heat press, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and a Epson Wf-7520. I know I need a vinyl cutter but I can not afford a Roland gx-24 right now.
At this point, I do not what else that I would need big equipment wise, I would like to but the most expensive things 1st then focus more on the less expensive things like the different vinyl's and transfer paper next.

· Registered
28 Posts
Get the largest vinyl cutter you can.... It was a big purchase for me being very small and new but I got a graphtec 6000 series in 48".... It is nice knowing I will grow into rather then out of it.... You have a great press which is my next big thing, have a cheap press but it is getting the job done. I hateutting things on credit but if you can, get the best possible even if you have to put it on a card and pay it off as fast as possible....

· Registered
29 Posts
Hi Ayla, Sounds like you have most of what you would need. The vinyl cutter is a very important purchase for your business. You can do many things with the cutter. Rhinestones, Heat Transfer Vinyl, Vinyl Decals to name a few. I always say to purchase what makes the most since for your business and budget at this time. Of course everyone would LOVE to purchase a Roland gx-24 or Graphtec CE6000-60 right off the start. That is not in most early business budgets though. You also have options like the US Cutter or GCC Expert 24. Those can get as low as $495.00 or less. The great part about a cutter like that is you will always be able to use 2 cutters down the road. So if your budget only allowed for a Expert 24 off the start. You could make enough money with that machine over the course of a few months to purchase a Roland or Graphtec. Now you have the ability in the long run to have a dedicated cutter for Vinyl decals and another for Rhinestones or HTV. Hope that makes since. However, If your budget allows for a Graphtec CE6000-60 or Roland GX-24 off the start. That would be the way to go. Our first Roland we purchased was in 2008 and we still use it everyday without 1 issue in 6 years.

Hope I was able to help some and just be smart with your decision and research. You are at the right place posting here and getting feedback. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions I may be able to help with.

Have a great day!

Matt

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, you have a really good reply. I really appreciate it. I am going to go with the GCC Expert 24, when I googled GCC Expert 24 on YouTube The Rhinestone World videos popped up, I think it is you in the videos. If so, you have awesome how to videos. I am wondering can you trim around heat transfer paper like JPSS paper with the GCC Expert 24?

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will look into that now, I never thought about doing rhinestone t-shirts, but I am going to learn how. Thank you for inspiring me. I don't want to get ahead of myself by not getting all of the equipment 1st but when I get to the part where I start learning how to use the equipment and actually start learning how to make different type of t shirts, I will be getting into rhinestones and also figure out different markets to promote to. I must say that I am starting to redefine what exactly what I want to do, I am starting to develop the sky is the limits type attitude towards the whole custom t shirt industry.

· Registered
29 Posts
Yes, The sky is the limit! Just be smart when starting out and be very good with a specific niche and grow from there. Build your customer base and then you can start expanding over time. Tshirt forum is a great place to gain knowledge and learn to build your business. Everyone here is so helpful and willing to share. If you have any questions along the process I would be glad to answer as well. You will do great! You get to work your butt off, have fun, be creative, be unique and the sky's the limit.

Matt

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, thanks. I am both nervous and excited about the equipment arrival. I am ready to get started making t shirts and I am really tired of working at a grocery store and I strongly doubt it that I want to go from scanning groceries to flipping burgers.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks so much! I really hope to meet you in person at September ISS show. I paid to attend yesterday and I noticed your business will be in booth 433. I have never been to an ISS show but I learned about from this website. I think it's an opportunity that I should simply not miss out on and I noticed that some of the preferred vendors are exhibitors too so I am sure that I will learn a lot, come up with a lot of ideas and have a lot of fun in the process.

· Registered
29 Posts
That's great Ayla! The ISS shows are awesome! You definitely want to make that show of you can. There will be a ton of great companies exhibiting at that show. Stop by the booth anytime and we will be glad to answer any questions you have as well. We look forward to seeing you. :)

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's great Ayla! The ISS shows are awesome! You definitely want to make that show of you can. There will be a ton of great companies exhibiting at that show. Stop by the booth anytime and we will be glad to answer any questions you have as well. We look forward to seeing you. :)
Hi Matt! I received the Expert 24 LX but I haven't had the time play with it when I do I will post pictures and probably more questions. I am planning my trip for the ISS at the moment and I was wondering will you be offering any conferences?

· Registered
29 Posts
Hi Matt! I received the Expert 24 LX but I haven't had the time play with it when I do I will post pictures and probably more questions. I am planning my trip for the ISS at the moment and I was wondering will you be offering any conferences?
I wish we could Alya. We are working hard to be able to provide trainings at the ISS show. We hope to be able to do some next year. We just need to get approval from the show to be able too. Right now we are just doing the trainings at the NBM Shows, NGN Shows, Oone! ur Florida Location, and the Online Webinars. Just stop by the booth and we will help you with anything you need though. It will be the packed booth that everyone will be smiling and happy at!! LOL We like to have a good time at the show with our customers and get to know them. Make sure to post some pics of your first shirt as well. That is always the best! Have a great night!

Matt

· Registered
29 Posts
Hi Alya, Got your email. I figured I would just post the FREE Bling Star here to share with everyone as well. We have 63 other FREE download at the link as well for anyone looking to get started and wanting to test some things out without having to pay any money. :) That's always a good thing. Enjoy everyone and let us know if you have any questions or need any help.

You can get the Bling Star here: FREE Bling Star

Thanks Matt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.