T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been printing and selling shirts for about six months now, and while I’ve done very well at trade shows/ flea markets, my web traffic has been pathetic.

Part of the problem is due to the aesthetic appeal of my site; this is the very first website I’ve ever built and it’s not so great (although getting better). The same can be said for my designs, but these same shirts sell very well in person.

Anyway, I know what I am, and I am trying to better what I‘m not.
I was hoping you guys might be willing to rip me a new one in the interest of progress.

My site can be found at http://www.WrongSportsShirts.com

Thank you in advance
:confused:

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Well, I already commented a few months ago on the intellectual property infringement that is all over your website and products, so I won't go into it again.

As for the website and designs, they are very amateur. My first piece of advice would be to connect with a professional graphic designer. If you can sell these designs, imagine how many you can sell of a better design? I don't know what programs you are using to build the website or how much experience you have in designing websites, but perhaps you can find a simple e-commerce template to use. Or at least check out some sites you like and try to follow that template. Or look into sites like Big Cartel. You've made it this far, you can probably figure it out to make it better from here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have actually struck a deal with a screen-printer/ web designer and am doing a bit of work in exchange for some attention to my website. Hopefully this will help, but he's not just going to overhaul everything.

And with the intellectual property issues; I am ironing most of them out. I'm not sure if you remember, but almost every shirt HAD trademarked logos. I feel the new stufff is much more vague (ex: focusing on the college town as opposed to the team/ school name).

I am in an odd position because these things sell, but I am still a hack with regard to the internet.

Is their anything specific you could reccomend?

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
And with the intellectual property issues; I am ironing most of them out. I'm not sure if you remember, but almost every shirt HAD trademarked logos. I feel the new stufff is much more vague (ex: focusing on the college town as opposed to the team/ school name).
I hear you. But there are literally dozens of infringements on the site and in the designs. The fact that they are marketed as "Shirts of the SEC" and "Wrong shirts for Razorbacks" can certainly get you sued. If you're not officially licensed by the CLC, you are at risk. Damn... I said I wasn't going into it again and I got sucked right into it.

I am in an odd position because these things sell, but I am still a hack with regard to the internet.
To be completely honest, you may be better off just selling in person anyway. Go to events, flea markets, etc. Or if you can travel to campuses, that could be good too.

Is their anything specific you could reccomend?
As for the designs... Some are ok, but some are terrible. There is very little design composition. The elements are very raw. It's obvious they are not done by a pro. I guess I would recommend learning more about design processes. Go to the library and do some research on art, design and typography. Go to the mall and see what design trends are out there. Even look through magazines and look at ads. Anything to learn and get ideas.

As for the website... I wouldn't necessarily say you need an overhaul. The navigation and layout are ok. But the graphics are terrible with all those bevels on everything. I think it just needs to be cleaned up and modernized. And mockups of the designs on shirts is a must, rather than just showing them on rectangles.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You may have some infringement issues, if it were my site I would clean it up a little. I like bold & bright colors on t shirt sites, they're supposed to be fun, right? You seem to have alot going on in the center of the page, maybe a little distracting. It all goes back to the old saying "keep it simple" Use all the color around the site perimeter & keep the center clean. Only my opinion though, go w/ what you like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both, I am looking to get this thing as legit as possible between now and September and I know I have a ton of work to do.

I was under the impression "Wrong Shirts for Razorbacks" would be fine because their was no link between the Universtiy, mascot, or state. While I understand the Universities can ultimately do what they want, I thought such verbage was a way to side-step the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I realize there are still several problems with the trademark issues, but you seem to think ANYTHING I do would constitute a suit.

I spoke with a corporate trial attorney who gave me a bit of advice which made me feel there is a way to go about this (not that I have complied entirely as of YET).

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I was under the impression "Wrong Shirts for Razorbacks" would be fine because their was no link between the Universtiy, mascot, or state.
"Razorbacks" is the official mascot of the University of Arkansas. How is that not a link to them?

While I understand the Universities can ultimately do what they want, I thought such verbage was a way to side-step the problem.
The problem is, "Razorbacks" is trademarked by the University of Arkansas. So your usage is not side-stepping anything. You are clearly using trademarked material without license or permission.

The way to side-step the problem is to not use trademarks on your site or in your designs. All school mascots and nicknames (Crimson Tide, War Eagle, Volunteers, etc) are trademarked. State and city names cannot be trademarked. So "Wrong Shirts for Arkansas Fans" would be a generic way to do it.

I realize there are still several problems with the trademark issues, but you seem to think ANYTHING I do would constitute a suit.
You even said it yourself, the universities can do what they want. So even if you are doing something legal, they can still sue. But in this case, you are fueling the fire by using so many trademarks.

But this goes beyond even the trademark issue. Licensed merchandise is a multi billion dollar industry. There are companies that spend tons of money every year for the right to produce licensed merchandise. Allowing unlicensed companies to operate only diminishes the value. The CLC has a responsibility to protect and manage the IP and the value of the IP. I just can't imagine you not getting a cease and desist if anyone found out about it.

I apologize for being so negative, but I'm just being honest, logical and realistic about it. But if you have consulted an attorney and you follow his advice, maybe you can win a lawsuit if it ever got that far. Maybe being sued will even help gain exposure for your brand. It certainly worked for T-shirt Hell. It's not exactly a recommended business model, but you may not have a choice.

I spoke with a corporate trial attorney who gave me a bit of advice which made me feel there is a way to go about this (not that I have complied entirely as of YET).
The best way to go about it, in my opinion, is to eliminate every registered trademark from your site and designs. This will not make you risk free from legal action, but it will give you the best chance at a proper defense.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would first like to reply by thanking you for your time once again.

I want to make the site "legit" by doing everything I can to make my site and new designs look decent within the next couple of months.

Should everything break right, I would look to liscense my products farther down the road.

Its an odd balance really. While the designs may be "terrible," they sell because they are concept-driven and these fans aren't as worried about appealing to the fashion-sense of others. That's not to say coupling a great concept with a solid design wouldn't help move a few more.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I want to make the site "legit" by doing everything I can to make my site and new designs look decent within the next couple of months.
Gotchya. On the brightside, that can be accomplished by using a pro designer or just working on it yourself and making it better.

Should everything break right, I would look to liscense my products farther down the road.
So you would license other companies to create and sell their own designs under your brand name?

Its an odd balance really. While the designs may be "terrible," they sell because they are concept-driven and these fans aren't as worried about appealing to the fashion-sense of others. That's not to say coupling a great concept with a solid design wouldn't help move a few more.
I agree 100%. Concept driven designs are exactly what is needed to appeal to a niche market. And I don't doubt these concepts can sell well. It's the legal issues I would be concerned about (as if you couldn't tell... lol). Anyway, I truly wish you luck improving your site and designs and hope business goes well with sales.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You're on the right track, It takes a little time to get it all together. Keep plugging away, nothing happens overnight. I made my share of blunders, that's for sure.
Best of Luck!
Ric

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Dear, First of all i agreed with Tim. You must contact profession webmaster... Also there is no any shirt or graphic which really attract the buyer....... So plz work on these areas.
Good Luck.................

1 - 13 of 13 Posts