T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently a sales rep in the gift industry and am going to start my own line of T-shirts to add to my current lines. I am planning on designs which will be all letters/text - no additional graphics, in one color only. I will only be doing short runs as the orders are placed.

I am weighing the options of heat transfer papers vs vinyl (with a vinyl cutter). Is there a heat transfer paper that will not have the background shadow/residue around my letters/text or is vinyl the only oprtion to eliminate that?

If vinyl is the way to go, are there options that won't have the shiney look that I'm used to seeing on my kid's sports uniforms?

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has questions about the way that the "Rep World" works, I'd be glad to help.

· Registered
482 Posts
I know you asked for an expert, but I'll throw my two-cents into the bucket...

If you're just going to do single colored words, vinyl may be the best for you.

If you do end up adding a splash of graphics and color at a later date (which may be important), then heat pressing with plastisol transfers is the way to go. Plastisol transfers will not leave the residue that you are use to seeing with iron-on transfers, but they would not be economical at all for just one time designs.

Have you thought about sublimation? You would need to use polyester shirts, but you could print your own transfers and not have the residue. Also since you're a gift shop, it would be great because you can print your own mugs with this technology as well.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response!

I am doing a catalog which will include 15-20 different phrases. My plan is to make some samples to show, then take the orders and produce the shirts as individual orders come in. That way I won't have inventory tied up in transfers and I can add and subtract styles easily.

· Registered
1,749 Posts
Based on what you describe...I would say vinyl would be your best option. It is perfect for 1 color simple designs and can be used on any color shirt. Also, there are various vinyls that will look very similar to screenprinting (i.e no shiney look). Thermoflex and Eco-Film are two very popular brands. However, there are many others. Just search the forums and you will find many others.

Good luck!

John

· Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Just a PS here, if you have a cutter *and* it has an optical eye, you can contour cut your heat transfer paper, eliminating the window.

But I also agree that vinyl or plastisol will be your best bet -- since you talked about adding and dropping designs.

Plastisols are so great because they are sitting there, all done, just waiting to be pressed on a shirt color and size that is needed, but it requires holding a stock of the same design.

If you would be using the same phrases, and then phase out that design as stock depletes, it could still work for you as you get better prices on plastisols the more you order.

With vinyl, you still have money tied up in stock of vinyl, and of course you'll need that cutter now, another expense, but you can drop a design in a day as you have nothing invested in it, unless you pre-cut some designs to aid in speeding up production.

* Plastisols = invest time in order and delivery, but once it's delivered, it's ready to be pressed. Very quick production.

* Vinyl = invest time in cutting the design and weeding before pressing. More labor on your part. But offers you the ability to change or drop a design with the last sale you make, not dependant on stock of design before phasing out.

You'll have to decide which fits best into your business model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.