T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been trying for days and researching how to get a different background into a picture that I am working with. I am trying to make a gift for a very dear friend who's soon passed away. I received a picture from her but the background was horrible so with the help of a fellow t-shirt forum pal, I was able to remove the background but now I need to replace it with something else. Is this possible? How can I do it?

I also need help working with the text. This gift is for a tote-bag not a t-shirt.
The picture is, 8X10 and I would like to incorporate the text into that size, unfortunately when I had the text it ends up on the persons clothing and cannot be seen.

I would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not a pro, but I may be able to help. Find a background that you like...a picture or whatnot. Save it to your computer and remember where you put it.

Open your existing picture in Coral Draw. Click on file, then import and find the background picture that you want.

Place the background picture behind the person. If the person ends up being hidden by the background picture, do this... click on the background picture so that it selected. Go to Arrange, then to Order then click on To back. This will make the background picture recede to the background and your friend's picture come to the front. Now click on the Pick Tool icon on the left toolbar. It looks like an arrow. Create a dotted box over the entire picture, click on Arrange, and then Group. This makes the picture and the background merge into one.

If you just want a solid color behind her instead of a background picture try this:
Open your friends picture. On the tool sidebar, click on the rectangle tool. (It looks like a square.) Click it. Then go over to your friends picture, and create a box by holding down the left mouse button, and dragging it. This should create a box. Create a box big enough to put your friend in it. Now right click on your mouse, and select Properties. A box should open up which has object properties, you can fill in the color, the outline of the box, and other things. Don't be afraid to play with it, it'll only do what you tell it to do. You can always undo by clicking on Ctrl and Z at the same time on your keyboard (shortcut) or by clicking Edit, and then Undo on the top bar.

These instructions are for Coral Draw 12, but I'm sure it's pretty standard to other Coral Draw versions.
Hope this helps.
Dee

·
Registered
18 Posts
Regarding the text, once you have your text typed out, click on the Pick tool icon on the toolbar (the arrow) and use this move your text to wherever you want. You can also change the color of the text and the size by clicking back on the text icon (the A), highlighting your text, then going over to the top of the page and changing the size from an 8 or whatever it is to as large as you want it. To change color, right click on your mouse, click on properties, and in the box that comes up, you can pick on what color you want. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
You also may have a problem with a white box around the picture because it is a jpg or similar file.

If you have the person on a layer in photoshop, just save it as a photoshop file and use the "open" command in corel. You can then ungroup the picture and delete the back layer.

If it isn't broken into layers and you just have a jpg then what you want to do is create a path around the edge of the person. Then you select the jpg, go to "effects" then power clip. A black arrow should appear asking where you'd like to place the picture. Click on the path you created, this will put the jpg inside the outlined shape creating a mask.

You can then go into "effects" "power clip" "edit contents" to move the image around because by default it will center the jpg to the shape you created with the pen tool.

A trick to keep everything centered without have to go inside the powerclip and eyeball it is this:

After creating the outlined shape around the picture, create a square or circle. Follow the instructions above to create a powerclip, and powerclip the square into the outlined shape. Then select the jpg, go to "edit" then "cut." This will make the image disappear putting it on the clip board. Ctrl-click on the powerclip and you should enter it...or go to "edit contents." Once inside just paste the image and ctrl-click out, you should have a perfectly clean mask around the photos.

This will allow you to put any shapes, images, illustrations, and/or text behind the image and give you a lot of freedom with placement.

Sorry this is so long...it's a really easy concept, just takes awhile to type out. ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After reading everyone's response here and feeling like I have never read the english language before, Is there a Corel Draw for dummies?:eek:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the link. I have Corel Draw X3, would any of the corel draw versions help or does it have to be an X3?:confused:

·
Registered
382 Posts
There are actually some tutorials built into the program under the help menu. They are pretty basic, but they will help you get started.

Also in X3 any time you select a tool to the right of the screen will be a tool tips section which is really great when you're getting started. It'll show you how to use the selected tool.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't believe it, I was giving great advice here on how to remove one background for another with a photograph and I just cannot do it.
I followed the instructions and still nothing. Everything goes the way it should until I try to hit group, that button is just not available so I cannot blend the pictures together, the pictures just cancell each other out.
Can anyone help? What am I dong wrong?

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
are you using bitmaps in CorelDRAW or Corel PhotoPaint? Sounds like draw and your best bet is to work with your raster images in PhotPaint
Draw has some bitmap editing abilities yet PhotoPaint is the best way.

If you would like, send me the cdr file with an explanation of what your wanting to do and Ill see what I can come up with.
[email protected]

some great corel related sites are
www.oberonplace.com
www.unleash.com - you will find many corel tutroials. I have a section that is slowly growing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.