T-Shirt Forums banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

· Registered
353 Posts
gabenick2: What offset are you using with your blade? Be sure to set your offset to match the blade your using. If your using a 60 or 65 degree blade, you might need to change the offset to .5. Check with the manufacturer of the blade.

· Registered
353 Posts
valleyboy_1: I had a Roland GX24 and it worked great. Once I bought the Puma III, it was just as good, probably even better and $600 less. If you're in the market for a new cutter and you need the optical eye, the Puma III is a great cutter. If you don't need the optical eye, save the $250 and get the Expert Pro.

· Registered
116 Posts
I have tried cutting from 110-140 df with no luck (single and double cut). It did make a difference when I replaced the strip. The current blade I am using is the Roland clean cut 60 degree blade, I am currently set at .4 offset. I do notice that my weed boxes are not cutting clean, more of a jagged cut.
The blade I am using is maybe 3 months old.

I am at the point where I will order a new blade and a holder, I am having to often take the blade out and clean the inside of the holder. I am also noticing that the blade seems to drag, I am getting torn flock in between circles.

Does anyone know where to get a holder? I have looked at ebay but most of them come from China and I need one sooner.

· Registered
2,690 Posts
I have tried cutting from 110-140 df with no luck (single and double cut). It did make a difference when I replaced the strip. The current blade I am using is the Roland clean cut 60 degree blade, I am currently set at .4 offset. I do notice that my weed boxes are not cutting clean, more of a jagged cut.
The blade I am using is maybe 3 months old.

I am at the point where I will order a new blade and a holder, I am having to often take the blade out and clean the inside of the holder. I am also noticing that the blade seems to drag, I am getting torn flock in between circles.

Does anyone know where to get a holder? I have looked at ebay but most of them come from China and I need one sooner.
What software are you using to create your templates and what software are you using to cut ?

· Registered
273 Posts
Go offline and do the little test cut from the machine. How does it come out? Also could you post a picture or video of it in action, it could be a number of things or one small one we don't see. But plan b is right, make sure its leveled and your BPS is smooth. What happens with the BPS , is that if it has a gouge the blade pushes down into it and it can catch and pinch material.

· Registered
116 Posts
Go offline and do the little test cut from the machine. How does it come out? Also could you post a picture or video of it in action, it could be a number of things or one small one we don't see. But plan b is right, make sure its leveled and your BPS is smooth. What happens with the BPS , is that if it has a gouge the blade pushes down into it and it can catch and pinch material.
The test cut cuts fine, I will post a video when I get home later. I did replace the white strip, the circles are cutting where before only half the design was cutting.The cutter is on the stand and has not been moved.

· Registered
116 Posts
Update** I changed the white strip, blade holder and the blade... the stencil cuts fine. My problem now is the weed box, it does not cut all the way through. I tried two rotations and the weed box does not cut on top of each other. Any other settings I should be changing? I did change teh offset to .50

· Registered
177 Posts
I just got a Puma III, upgraded from my Expert 24lx, I love this cutter, Roger from Heat Press Vinyl gave me a great deal and his customer service is top notch! Answered my emails within minutes of me sending them.

The machine arrived the next business day after i ordered it and it is already putting in work! My only concern was how loud the pinch rollers lock into place, thought i broke something the first time i locked them down lol, But other then that its such an improvement over the expert lx.

· Registered
83 Posts
Been reading this thread here, I am looking at the Puma III and the Expert Pro for the extra force (I want to cut thicker materials than just shirt vinyls).

Someone mentioned the optical eye being the biggest difference on these 2, what is the optical eye even used for?

· Registered
83 Posts
I think for me i can pass on that since all i do is create simple fonts or logos to cut out for windows cars tshirts etc, even the stencils i wanna do with it (that are thicker) are just simple images i wanna outline and cut ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR should I get it cuz down the road i might want to make vinyl stickers and outline cut them hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm hehe

· Registered
83 Posts
It's so hard to decide since i mainly want it for me as a hobby, but I can see maybe down the road (not now but later) maybe wanting that, but it would also mean needing something that prints images onto vinyl too (more money and choices) hehe.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I've been using my Puma III for a bit over a year now, and it has performed flawlessly for me. The optical eye has been handy to have for me when I use JPSS, or make some stickers that need to be cut out.

Something to consider with the Puma III vs the Expert, with the Puma III all of the settings for the cutter are there on the front panel of the machine. Whereas with the Expert series you have to use the VLCD software. I'm not knocking the VLCD software as I have never used it, just something to be aware of with the Expert.

Also when I purchased the Puma III, I also bought the Flatbed Table attachment, stand and an extra blade holder. I exclusively use CleanCut Blades in it as well, Roland Zecu 60 degree for StickyFlock and similar "thick" materials and Roland Zecu 45 degree for all my vinyls. IMHO at least one extra blade holder is a must. So much easier to switch between cutting vinyl or flock.

And no matter what cutter you use, spend some time dialing in the blade depth and downforce settings. Keep notes of every change you make and you will be surprised as to how little downforce is really needed. :D

· Registered
83 Posts
Oh yeah I hear ya on notes I was making a dozen logos the other day and I had 4 sticky notes different speeds and pressures trying to find the "right" mix for this new material for me (coming from oracal 651 sign vinyl to thermoflex plus).

Oh the choices I think that puma sounds a hair more futureproof for me but I gotta wait a bit due to having just bought a big new press $1050 and about 2 grand in car repairs in the last month ugh...

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.