T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried my first transfer that I printed from my new Kodak esp9 printer. I was using Xerox transfer paper (I know it's cheap junk but that's all I have at the moment, probably bought it a gazillion years ago). The transfer actually printed very nicely but now I have this big yellow square on my tee shirt in the shape of the platen (I guess that's the term). It's like it's scorched. Do you think my press was too hot or did I use too much pressure? And how does one figure out what is the correct pressure to use? BTW, this was a used all cotton tee shirt, I didn't want to waste a new one!! And the directions for the paper did say 375 for 20 seconds.

·
Administrator
14,024 Posts
Is the shape the size of your platen or your transfer paper?

If platen, then you may have scorched it. Follow the transfer instructions. If it still scorches, your press may be running too hot.

If it's in the shape of the paper, then it's probably the polymer from the transfer. Cuting out white space before you press will eliminate it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If it's in the shape of the paper, then it's probably the polymer from the transfer. Cuting out white space before you press will eliminate it.
I would say that this is the problem. I've had problems with the whole "halo" effect that was left behind from the transfer paper.

·
Administrator
14,024 Posts
I would say that this is the problem. I've had problems with the whole "halo" effect that was left behind from the transfer paper.
This is an issue with most papers, even commercial ones. If you are printing on white shirts, Jet Pro Soft Stretch seems to be the best paper not to leave a window. Cutting out unprinted areas of the transfer before pressing is always your best solution.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Sally, if it is in the same "size" as your platen, then it's your platen, but if it is the same shape as your platen but only the size of the transfer, than it's like the transfer paper.

If it is larger than the platen, you can reduce your temp, or reduce your time. It's not science. There is def wiggle room in what works best for you/your situation because not all presses/paper/ink/shirt combos will yield one exact result.

Sometimes, I cannot even reproduce an exact desired result with all the same products lol.

"Teflon sheets" and "parchment paper" can maybe help you reduce the chance of scorching. Teflon is likely the best bet, along with reduction of heat.

As far as the pressure goes, there is the old trick of slipping a dollar bill in there and if it slides out fairly easy, not enough pressure, if it hangs on pretty well, could be a fine pressure.

I don't use that method. I go by the feel of the handle when I press down. If it's too hard for me to comfortably close and open, it's too much imo.

I also use mouse pad material to lift the imprint area, to avoid shirt seams getting in the way of a good solid clamp down of the upper platen. Works nice.

good luck to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for replying. Yes, the square is in the shape of the platen. I did see on a previous thread that someone recommended using Peroxide to remove the scorch. It worked but it did fade the color of the design just a little--could be I used too much, I dumped the whole bottle in the sink! LOL And it was cheap transfer paper. I'd have to agree that the temperature was too high. I acquired about 1000 transfers last night (what a deal I got!) so I'm going to try again with a "real" transfer!!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Thanks to everyone for replying. Yes, the square is in the shape of the platen. I did see on a previous thread that someone recommended using Peroxide to remove the scorch. It worked but it did fade the color of the design just a little--could be I used too much, I dumped the whole bottle in the sink! LOL And it was cheap transfer paper. I'd have to agree that the temperature was too high. I acquired about 1000 transfers last night (what a deal I got!) so I'm going to try again with a "real" transfer!!
Next time just put the peroxide in a spray bottle and give the scorch stain a few squirts then toss it in the washer. You don't need to use the whole bottle. A little will do just fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Loretta for the info on the spray bottle--the original post I read it on didn't say how much to use or anything so I just assumed!

Since that was my first shirt I've ever done, I wasn't sure on how much pressure to use--I think I used too much. I did use the teflon sheet on top of the shirt so it probably could've turned out worse.

Hey, I'm in Eastlake!! Just down the road from you!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
................I also use mouse pad material to lift the imprint area, to avoid shirt seams getting in the way of a good solid clamp down of the upper platen. Works nice.
I was wondering where you got this mouse pad material and if it really can be used with high temps for extended periods like you would use for JPSS and white t's. :)
Susie

·
Administrator
14,024 Posts
I was wondering where you got this mouse pad material and if it really can be used with high temps for extended periods like you would use for JPSS and white t's. :)
Susie
Your heat press supplier should have them. Teflon 'pillows' are also used for this purpose.

Many (most?) mouse pads are decorated using sublimation and a heat press, so they can definitely withstand the heat. I have all kinds of promotional mouse pads I've picked up over the years at my press station ready to be used. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ok, thanks.
I was just wondering because I do mouse pads at 385° for 9 seconds and I do t-shirts using JPSS at 375° at 30 seconds. I was wondering if I put a mouse pad under the t-shirt for that long if the mouse pad would melt? :)
I thought maybe the mouse pad material took higher heat for longer times than a normal mouse pad.
Thanks again,
Susie

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Yikes! My vinyl and plastisol transfers are not under the press longer than 15 seconds at 330.

You better test first before listening to me. I would hate to have to buy you a new heat press.
Plastisol and vinyl melt or adhere faster at lower temps than do the heat press transfers and sublimation transfers.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Yep, Joe and Loretta are right on. It is okay! :)

Conde sells a great big sheet of mouse pad material for sublimation.
It is product number M003. People here have bought it, used it and liked it for this application.

From Conde:
Item: MP003
Mouse Pad Material, White Polyester Fabric Top With Rubber Back, 1/4", 1 Linear Yard- 54" x 36". The thickest mousepad material we offer, this is luxurious and cushy, makes impressive pads. Cut to fit any idea.

The piece of mouse pad material is less than $16!!!

Here is a link:
Product Detail for MP003 - DyeTrans.com

Also, here is Conde showing a mousepad transfer, and she is using 400*F for 50 seconds. Mousepads for Sublimation Imprinting - DyeTrans.com

Hope that helps!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yup it helps a lot. I was hoping you would see this. :)
Thanks,
Susie

·
Registered
219 Posts
Conde sells a great big sheet of mouse pad material for sublimation. It is product number M003. People here have bought it, used it and liked it for this application. From Conde:
Item: MP003
Girlzndollz,
I went to this site and it talks mostly about sublimation. What is the difference between that and using a heatpress with JPSS?
Can I use their products anyway?
I don't need that spray she uses in the video right?
Don't want to miss out on some good info. :)
Susie

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the Conde mousepad material tip. I really want to get a large sheet like that to make custom pads for various size garments/transfers, so I always have the exact size I need.
I noticed there is a $100 online order minimum.
"Note: Minimum online order is $ 100.00.
If your order falls below our minimum, you will need to contact your Account Manager for processing."

I haven't contacted them yet, but does anyone know if there are fees for smaller orders?I don't really need anything else from them to justify spending 100 bucks.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Thanks for the Conde mousepad material tip. I really want to get a large sheet like that to make custom pads for various size garments/transfers, so I always have the exact size I need.
I noticed there is a $100 online order minimum.
"Note: Minimum online order is $ 100.00.
If your order falls below our minimum, you will need to contact your Account Manager for processing."

I haven't contacted them yet, but does anyone know if there are fees for smaller orders?I don't really need anything else from them to justify spending 100 bucks.
No extra fees for smaller orders. My orders are usually small orders and I've never had them tack on any extra fees.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts