T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started using my ET-15000 with InkOwl ink and paper, and the InkOwl provided profile.

Image quality on my cheap-o test coasters is not bad, it is in the right ballpark. I have nice red reds and rich blacks with no color cast.

But, there are two things I need to work on. One, saturation is somewhat too high. Two, some colors have a bit of a green cast... Blues and browns in particular.

I know I can adjust each piece of art to dodge these issues... But I shouldn't have to make art look wrong on the screen to make it right on the item. How can I make a system-wide adjustment to just some aspects of printing?

I'm using Affinity Photo/Designer on Windows, by the way, and my monitor is calibrated with an iRite X1 Display.

Thanks if you have any tips!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, good news I think... I reviewed my Epson preferences and saw I had the printer setup wrong. It was doing some automatic color correction in addition to having the ICC profile set in the design software. Oops! So, I set it to "No Color Adjustment," and now I need to do more prints.

But I did find the setting I was looking for before. In More Options, Color Correction: Custom, Advanced panel, select Color Controls. Then you may make crude overall adjustments.

Product Rectangle Azure Font Operating system

But hopefully I'll find the InkOwl provided profile is good enough, once I am using it correctly. While I love gadgets and I am keen on good color I'd happily not buy profiling hardware if I could get away with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found that simply using the InkOwl printer profile, and disabling all driver color tweaks, did indeed produce pretty good color.

With simple designs, it can still be nice to amp up the saturation. I tried to find a way to do this in the driver but it didn't work out. You can turn on additional saturation via the Color Correction dialog above, even if the printer profile is active in your design app... But by doing so, you seem to lose all the benefits of the profile.

Here's an example. On the left is an image which was printed with the InkOwl printer profile and no driver adjustments. This image is actually pretty good when compared to the image on screen. On the right, I turned on a little extra saturation with "Epson Vivid" mode per the above screen. As you can see, the final product has a nasty green cast in the blacks. Switching to "Adobe RGB" didn't improve things, there was still a green cast.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Whiskers Companion dog

I am not unhappy, I am getting good color through the system. But I do wish there was a way to... forgive me... make it "pop" via print settings when printing a simple design that benefits from rich saturation.

I think the next step is to play with this setting in my design app. I had left things on the default "Perceptual" but I need to see what "Saturation" in these settings will do.

Font Electronic device Electric blue Multimedia Screenshot

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
in your extended settings there is this:
Refine screening pattern - Prints graphics with a finer screening pattern.
no idea what it does though

you can also change print density, but it seems to only be for double sided prints
so a workaround may be to have a blank print on the backside

also trying some of the different paper settings may help (my epson + jpss works best on plain paper & highest quality)

gimp is free to download and you can adjust saturation, color/contrast/gamma/etc. and sharpness in there pretty easy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like the "rendering intent" option may be helpful. This article explains the options and it does sound like choosing "Saturation" may do what I am hoping.

This was really interesting, I have always ignored those settings but now I can see the different use cases.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried choosing Intent: Saturation and the effect was minuscule. Looks like there is no magic "punch up the colors" toggle at print time and I'll need to boost saturation in the artwork. I'm not terribly surprised.

Anyway, so far I am pleased with the InkOwl stuff. I am using their inks, their paper, and their profile in my ET-15000 and can't really complain about the outcome in my tests so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts