T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i am about to open my own boutique and its going to be a veriaty store with my own exclusive t-shirts and other high end cloth. I am trying to have some screen print place help me with my own designs to help me out better. How should i approach the screen print place.:rolleyes:
I want to have a couple of my designs made into shirts all ready. Then with the profit i could buy all the equipments that i need.:)

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Honestly?

I think it's a very, very bad idea.

Having a t-shirt brand and having an actual store are two very different businesses. Opening a store takes a huge investment of time and money, even for a very small store. There are so many things to deal with - just off the top of my head, licensing, paying rent, buying fixtures, buying inventory, hiring employees, marketing, signage, etc, etc.

The other thing that tells me that this is a bad idea is that you don't even have shirts printed yet. You don't have any proof that your designs are going to sell. You have no idea how much profit, if any, you'll be getting.

Don't take this personally - I am not putting you down at all. I have just seen that there are quite a few people who come here and have this idea of starting a brand and opening a store at the same time, and it's quite possibly the worst idea there is for someone just starting out.

Even if there was someone who had 10 years of experience successfully selling their brand and also had experience managing a store, AND also had the money to do it all, it would still be a decision that would take a lot of careful planning and consideration. Not something you do lightly.

IF you manage to get your brand off the ground and actually make some profit, and you're still dead set on opening a store, do something a lot more simple to start out with. Rent a table at your local craft fair and sell shirts. Rent a kiosk in the mall for a month. Something that costs a few hundred dollars to try out, not thousands.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I agree completely with everything Jasonda says in her post above.

As for approaching the screenprinter... what do you want to approach them with? A print job? Or do you need them to work on the art as well? If it's a print job, that's what they do. Approach them like you would any other business ("Hi, I've got a design I want printed and I was hoping you could give me a quote" or whatever). If you need them to work on the art, some printers do this and some don't. Either way, you might be better off getting a freelance artist on the internet to do it - you can probably find someone cheaper that way, and more easily assess a bunch of portfolios first.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Then with the profit i could buy all the equipments that i need.:)

What do you guys think?
Hi, Mr.GOOD - It was smart to post your question before jumping-in to your new store.

I agree with the other posters - better to start slow. Take it step by step. First, find out if your designs will sell! After that, you may decide that running your store takes-up all your time, and you may just want to outsource all your print work. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for grounding me. I was wondering who do i have to approach for selling in a kiosk :confused:?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts