T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I get these things in my head and believe they are going to be easy.

I have cut vinyl, and pressed so many transfers its unbelievable.

Lately, I have seen so many videos showing "HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN PRESS" etc.

So, I did.

I built it using Jiffy Clamps, a YUDU screen, and am using YUDU ink.

I KNOW YUDU IS JUNK, but I thought for a trial, their screen would work. Same with their ink.

LONG STORY SHORT:

I am using vinyl for masking. I have seen this work so many times.

EVERYTHING COMES OUT FUZZY! BLURRY!

THE QUESTION:

What items are most important for a 1-color, simple job.

I really want to learn the basics first before I try to buy a press.

The ink seems like junk. The vinyl doesn't really seem to work. How important is the squeegee quality? The design was ultra simple for a test. It was a large shamrock, with the words "Buck Foston" inside.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
One problem with the yudu screens is the mesh is so loose my mesh reads 0 on my newton gauge.. That bad mesh is creating a wave and distorting the print... We had same problem with my daughters yudu... Buy a screen some eBay places sell them cheap ... Albie

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You buy junk, you get junk. The yudu screen is like a sliding door screen. You're better off buying the $100 speedball kit at the craft store.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Mikey,
Screen is probably the most important, but squegee is important too. I started with a homemade set up too, many years ago. You don't need to spend a ton to get a descent setup, just get profesional screens and squegees (even if this is a hobbie). Pocono Mt. Screen Supply - Screen Printing Supplies, Screen Printing Equipment, and Screen Printing Frames These guys are not too far from you, and they have cheap, quality wood screens. Get on there mailing list and they often have them on sale for like $14. Get a good squegee too, it will last a long time.

Silkscreeningsupplies.com is also great for getting you started. Order over the phone and their salespeople are really helpful.

Good luck!
Nick

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I second silkscreeningsupplies.com but really any of the reputable suppliers will get you what you need. Start with good equipment, even if it costs a little bit more. You'll save tons in aggravation and you'll learn alot faster when you can concentrate on improving your technique rather than try to figure out what's wrong with your equipment. Nothing wrong with using vinyl for a stencil either, as long as you don't go too small on the details and get good adhesion on the screen. Make sure you degrease before applying, vinyl likes to come off on dirty screens once you start pushing ink through it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts