T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problem that I am have is when I wash out my screen after exposer it look fine, but after the screen and emulsion dries the image has a film in it that can not be printed through. I have been getting a little emulsion remover on a Q-tip and removing the film from the image but that is getting kind of old. There has to be an explanation for this. If anyone has any ideas please let me have them. Thanks

· Registered
182 Posts
ah.. the dreaded water haze. even though your image is washed out in the screen, there is often a filmy haze that sticks in the mesh. Usually its because all the emulsion outisde of the image, kinda seeps into your design. Once the screen is dried after washout, the only way to get rid of that haze is with water.. My suggestion is either... when finished rinsing out your image, keep rinsing the rest of the screen for a little while to remove all that slimy gunk.. You can also take a newspaper to and lay one sheet on the inside of the screen and leaving that newspaper lying flat on the entire mesh, take a paper towel and rub it lightly over the newspaper then softly peel the newspaper away.. that will usually remove all haze from the image.. OR you can get a little air blower and blow it all over the image getting all moisture out of it before it all dries. Hope that all made sense

· Registered
182 Posts
I was wondering about that...I get the same things at times. But, not all the time.

You mentioned about blowing air on it. I've still gotten it after stading the washed out screen in front of a fan.
fan will only dry the screen as is.. i mean get a little compressor with a little hose and little air nozzle kinda thingy and blow all the water and haze out of the image before the screen dries. If this doesnt happen all the time, just rinse your screens better and try the newspaper trick. It works wonders

· Registered
66 Posts
I too have gotten that annoying haze across small parts of my image after washing my image out. I haven't tried any of those suggestions and I will this weekend but what I've done in the past is just load the screen up on my press and do some test prints. I will usually press a little harder on the first 3 or 4 pulls and do a couple extra 'clean up' pulls after the image has been pulled through onto the test square. I've found that got rid of the haze and all seems to be well with the screen printing gods.

-nate

· Registered
187 Posts
I have had haze in the screen to, what i do is the same as nate on a test run pull the ink 4 or 5 time. if that do not work I will use some water on a Q Tip and clean the area and re screen 4 or 5 times again and that works. This is a test shirts. LaTonya

· Registered
1,749 Posts
fan will only dry the screen as is.. i mean get a little compressor with a little hose and little air nozzle kinda thingy and blow all the water and haze out of the image before the screen dries. If this doesnt happen all the time, just rinse your screens better and try the newspaper trick. It works wonders
Thanks Jimmy...I understand what you were saying now.

· Registered
1,749 Posts
Expose a little longer. Scum happens when the stencil is not completely hardened and not completely washed free of dissolved emulsion. Once it's in the image- it's a bear.
Come to think of it...I think that was a concern as well when I noticed the haze.

Thanks!

· Registered
182 Posts
in addition to the suggestion of exposing the screen for a bit longer, you may also try and take notice if you are actually applying to thick of a coat of emulsion on your screens.. If that is the case, even exposing those screens for a little bit longer may not help much. You can also feel the slime on the screen during wash out.. take notice, touch the screen after the image is washed out and if it feels slimy to the touch, continue rinsing and touch again.. You will get a feel for when the screen is properly rinsed

· Registered
1,827 Posts
Unexposed emulsion that dries in the open areas is called "Tears of Emulsion".

Every drop of water you have on the frame has the potential to block your image area.

Blot with newspaper, or vacuum with a special thin lipped vacuum head.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.