T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a heat press about 3 months ago and have been working away with my vinyl cutter getting stuff cut out for transfer but its just not transferring well at all. Some info below to help get a picture of what I'm dealing with:

• 100% cotton garments
  • pressure knob about 75% turnt
  • heat at 155 (HTV manufacturer suggested 150-160)
  • the edge closest to the operator of the heat press seems to adhere perfectly fine (see first image below) but the side furthest away from the operator doesnt stick at all and has this bubble affect under the carrier sheet. When I hot peel (suggested by the manufacturer) it just doesn't stick at all and the vinyl has cotton fluff all over it (see pictures 2 & 3).

The heat press I've got is a HPC380 from Signzworld (UK HeatPress)

Rectangle Textile Wood Grey Font

Grey Font Sleeve Pattern Rectangle

Finger Gesture Font Wood Fashion accessory

· Administrator
18,441 Posts
What brand is your vinyl?

You could be experiencing uneven pressure or uneven heat. Do you have a temperature gun where you can measure the temperature at all portions (upper right, upper left, lower right, lower left, middle) of your upper platen?

First you can try cranking up your pressure to max and see if there is any difference.

· Registered
4,277 Posts
you left out time, how long do you press?

is this a new unwashed blank tee?

why does it look burnt black on a light grey heather?
like splathead said, check your temp, it looks like 315c, not 315f

also there is a strange bubbling around the edge of pic3
what is the name of the htv you are using (it looks like burnt sign vinyl on the edges)?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you left out time, how long do you press? is this a new unwashed blank tee? why does it look burnt black on a light grey heather? like splathead said, check your temp, it looks like 315c, not 315f also there is a strange bubbling around the edge of pic3 what is the name of the htv you are using (it looks like burnt sign vinyl on the edges)?
Yeah it’s a new unwashed blank, no that’s just my shadow. The name is just white HTV from Lya Vinyl. So if it’s burnt around the edges is it too hot? I use a Teflon sheet so I expected it to be alright burn wise.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it’s a new unwashed blank, no that’s just my shadow. The name is just white HTV from Lya Vinyl. So if it’s burnt around the edges is it too hot? I use a Teflon sheet so I expected it to be alright burn wise.
also I press for 15 seconds, the manufacturer recommended 10-15. I’ve varied between the two times

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What brand is your vinyl?

You could be experiencing uneven pressure or uneven heat. Do you have a temperature gun where you can measure the temperature at all portions (upper right, upper left, lower right, lower left, middle) of your upper platen?

First you can try cranking up your pressure to max and see if there is any difference.
The receipt says white HTV from Lya Vinyl.
I do have a temperature gun, I’ll try this tonight. I suspect it might be uneven pressure but given it’s not one of the high end heat presses it could be temperature.
Will let you know results

· Registered
4,277 Posts
i don't see any htv from lya vinyl, just sign vinyl

if you plan on selling these tee's get good htv (like themoflex plus, gimme5, sef, chemica, joto premium, etc., get free samples and test cutting/weeding/washing to find what you like)

i gave you that option for mdp because you have a uk flag, but proworld also carries these pillows in the usa

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i don't see any htv from lya vinyl, just sign vinyl

if you plan on selling these tee's get good htv (like themoflex plus, gimme5, sef, chemica, joto premium, etc., get free samples and test cutting/weeding/washing to find what you like)

i gave you that option for mdp because you have a uk flag, but proworld also carries these pillows in the usa
Noted I’ll have to try them out, yeah UK based so I’ll have a go at those. Do they do free samples??

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FYI, I’ve put some Teflon pads on order but in the mean time I used a silicone pad that came with the heat press and that has already made huge improvements! (I didn’t know it was actually something I could use)

· Registered
4,277 Posts
An additional note - sometimes "Hot Peel" really means "Pretty Warm Peel" - we have a print and cut that I instruct operators to remove the item from the press, set it on the table, and THEN peel. If you try to peel it hot on the press it doesn't adhere well.
good point

i pick it up, wave it in the air a few times then peel

just went through some of the reviews on the uk amazon site, and i would not use this for re-sale items
most of the reviews were for their sign vinyl, and the htv reviews were not impressive
another possibility is this is a chinese re-brand of a pvc htv and not a pu (it looks like sign vinyl to me, which means it could be pvc)
how does it feel when peeled, like a ridgid plastic, or soft like a silkscreen print?

stick with known manufacturers, in europe there is poli-tape in germany (this is thermoflex/joto in usa), gimme5 in italy, sef and chemica in france
or stick with a know company in the uk (like mdp or test out dae-ha it is from korea and they make some decent htv's)
if you trial siser (italy) stick with the stretch, the easypeel is glossy and feels like plastic

if you are using a 12" cutter, it is still better to get the 20" rolls and cut it down to 12" and 8" (or whatever)
this is cheaper to buy and the smaller width is great for left chest, kids, etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts