T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm totally new to the world of HTV so please bear with me.

I have a range of wooden (painted) boxes and I'm looking for a nice way to personalise them. Ideally I want to get a nice professional finish without needing to paint the personalisation on by hand. I thought a HTV might be a good way to get a "paint-like" finish (so you can hardly tell there is a transfer there, minimal "bump" when you run your finger across) I wouldn't want to have to re-seal the box again with any varnish after applying the transfer.

The vinyl would be single colour (matt white) and pretty basic (names/simple company logos) and won't ever be more than 300x100mm in size. I haven't committed to any equipment yet, it's very much an idea at the moment so I'd probably want a cheap/mid-range cutter (as small as possible) and do I then need a press or would that not work because the boxes will be at least 200mm in thickness when put with transfer-side-up. So could/should I use a mini iron type thingy and do it by hand.

I've done some research but found it a bit of a minefield in terms of which vinyl to use, cutters, how to apply the HTV etc - so thought I'd ask if anyone else has tried this? is there an easier route?

I'm basically trying to find a method that would be cheap/simple to try, but reasonably scaleable if it was to take off.

Thanks!

· Registered
4,277 Posts
htv is easier to apply than sign vinyl (no transfer tape needed and can be re-positioned at will)

i believe you cannot use it on unfinished wood (the natural oils will cause it to peel)
indoor use is preferable for longevity (but in a vertical outdoor application you can get a few years)
do not use any overcoats except modgepodge

hopefully this spring i will have time to trial this,
as i have seen it done and it works well

if you do some trials please post your methods/results,
i for one would appreciate it

here is a video using siser stripflock, but i have seen just easyweed used
video

· Registered
4,277 Posts
i think the heat applied is much less than when applied to a tee,
as you are not trying to embed it deep into the fibers for hot washings

just enough to activate the adhesive,
a hand iron on low with a little pressure should do, or heat press on low w/o pressure, just weight of the platen

· Registered
1 Posts
I'd use a permanent adhesives craft vinyl. HTV just isn't quite right for the job - it's better for fabric applications.

This site has a pretty good rage - just make sure you get a permanent adhesive if you want it to last - Craft Vinyl . It also does HTV if you wan to go down that route. Just make sure you choose the right application from the menu on the left - Furniture application I guess?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.