T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Long story short, I do a good bit of vinyl decals and have worked with a screen printer for a while and built up quite a few clients selling shirts.. I'm not doing much work with them anymore, and don't have any room for a screen printing setup for myself. I'm picking up a heat press tomorrow so I can do some small jobs with HTV. I dont plan to steal back many of my clients that I've dealt with that that shop, but I'm sure a few will want to continue to work with me directly..

my question is, what kind of HTV can I use to look as close to screen printing as possible? I assume I want something matte or semi matte? is flex stuff better for that? thinner better for a softer feel?

HEre's the different brands and model vinyl I've considered. And yes I've done too much googling already and find a ton of info but its all pretty old.. I imagine in the last 5 years the HTV game has changed a little. I just remember years ago anything heat transfer vinyl related looked cheap. I dont want that, I need this to look as close as possible to what the clients would have expected before!!

I was looking at: easyweed, easyweed stretch (is thinner better for a softer feel?), stahl fashion film, spectra cut, spectra cut 2, spectra eco, stahls premium plus, thermoflex turbo, thermoflex plus...

all seem simlar in price. i'm probably over thinking it, but I'd rather just get some of the "right stuff" instead of trying out 10 different products. any advice would be appreciated..and I understand none of this will fully look like screen print, but as close as possible as to not throw clients off too far....

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plastisol transfers will give you exactly the same results as screen printing. You just need a press, no screen printing gear.

However, they're only cost effective if you have many prints of the same design.

anything large quantity ill still send over to the shop, just looking to do small one off orders and custom stuff that doesnt make sense to do screens for.

so looking to keep this 100% in house, dont want to pay for the plastisol transfers.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you are in the wrong section
go here
use the search function or just look around in there
many, many posts newer than 5 years old
spent a good few hrs trying to make up my mind and can't based off the different things ive read. tried to search with no luck. maybe im bad at googling today, will move over to the other forum though - thanks for pointing that out!

· Registered
4,277 Posts
web searches are a pain nowadays
it's all about who pays the most for rankings, not relevancy of data

here are some brands (get samples and trial to see what you like):
~ thermoflex/joto (german)
~ chemica (france)
~ sef (france)
~ tdf (usa company, vinyl subbed out to a chinese manufacturer)
~ smtf (south korean, sold under different brand names,
you should trial any south korean you can find as they go by many names,
just make sure it is pu and not pvc)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.