T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The site is just a bashed together Dreamweaver job. Although right now it functions perfectly for me.

Any comments?

Designs based on the golden ratio and aperiodic tiling. Each tee is printed on American Apparel FJ 2001 for a 100% ring spun cotton fine fit and with plastisol inks for a high-quality finish. Each tee comes in a gift box, individually numbered limited edition including a badge and print card.

1.618 Clothing - We Are Phi 2008

Regards,

Phi

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Any comments?
It's a little irrational. Hahahah! High-lair-ious. Okay, seriously though...

Overall, nice simple web 2.0 look. When all you have is a simple one hit wonder product (not saying that's all you'll ever be, but for now...), I think a simple mostly on one page website is the way to go. You're relying on the strength of one product to sell, so it makes sense to enshrine everything around that product quite simply.

That said, the 1.618 gradient is going a little far, and I think the social media buttons (especially the one from slashdot) are overly conspicuous.

The phi sleeve tag is nice. Definitely helps finish things off.

Personally I think waterbased ink would look better than plastisol, but it would give a different look so that's horses for courses.

Some of the model shots in your scrolling graphic are quite weak. I don't think you need to bulk it out, so I'd ditch the weaker shots and just stick to what works. Too many self-shots of the guy (I'm assuming that's you).

The one with your arm outward and the tiles and panelling behind you (bathroom I assume) is bad, the greyscale (calling it back and white would be generous) with colour design one that follows is the worst. A lot of your shots are out of focus - it wouldn't hurt to re-shoot them, and try to keep the backgrounds a little less... kitchen/bathroomy.

The basic simplicity, resolution, etc. is okay - they're just not quite there yet.

Your stock level indicator says preorder, but your textual description says in stock in S/M/L.

Minimal text is fine, but I think you should add a faq page. Brief contact information, care instructions (since I assume you're in Britain they're technically required under your mail order laws), size chart, a brief description of what your company and/or your shirts are about (like the sentence you gave here), payment information, etc. It might seem all too obvious, AA is a standard brand, etc. but you don't want to discourage people for whom this might be their first or second online t-shirt purchase. Or the paranoid nervous wreck who wants to be reassured by a FAQ first.

You mentioned that the tee comes in a gift box, etc. but I don't see that mentioned or photographed on your website. Might be a good idea to add some photos of your packaging to the slideshow - maybe you're trying to keep it as a pleasant surprise for the buyer, but you should at least hint at things like that to increase chances of a sale.

I like the t-shirt design itself.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Hmm, saw the packaging on your Facebook page, yeah... maybe don't bother including that photo afterall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solmu, thanks so much for your response. I'm running this on my own and it's getting bigger than I thought it would, so I really appreciate your constructive criticism. I've had a lot of people just slag off the designs (without having seen a tshirt up cloe) without focusing on the layout, and it's a little... tiring!

Ok, here goes.

It's a little irrational. Hahahah! High-lair-ious. Okay, seriously though...
lol :)

Overall, nice simple web 2.0 look. When all you have is a simple one hit wonder product (not saying that's all you'll ever be, but for now...), I think a simple mostly on one page website is the way to go. You're relying on the strength of one product to sell, so it makes sense to enshrine everything around that product quite simply.
I have only one design for sale at the moment, but another 6 designs pending. I'm actually launching the new design next Friday as the shipment comes in, and the site will expand accordingly. The web 2.0 look was not on purpose, I'm a graphic designer by trade so I just created it as I'd imagined it would look.

That said, the 1.618 gradient is going a little far, and I think the social media buttons (especially the one from slashdot) are overly conspicuous.
The social media buttons can be relocated to another page, but I need those links to Facebook and Myspace as they offer another place to check out the community we're building. There's also a forum but it's off limits to the public at the moment, just my friends and customers.
The gradient, well I'll respectfully disagree (unless you mean the shadow under 1.618, yeah that's probably too Apple-esque). I like the gray background gradient though, it spices things up a little compared to plain FFFFFF. :)

The phi sleeve tag is nice. Definitely helps finish things off.
Awesome. Feedback from customers said they'd rather wait for the finished sleeve tag, so I took their advice.

Personally I think waterbased ink would look better than plastisol, but it would give a different look so that's horses for courses.
The nape is actually printed with waterbased ink, but on the dark garment it's a very weak print. I hate specks of gray showing through the design, the white base charge gives it a very vibrant yet soft base colour. The screenprinters did a fantastic job as the print is very soft yet durable. All the feedback I've had so far from the guys that have received (most aren't friends!) their tees, is that the cotton quality and print quality are fantastic.

Some of the model shots in your scrolling graphic are quite weak. I don't think you need to bulk it out, so I'd ditch the weaker shots and just stick to what works. Too many self-shots of the guy (I'm assuming that's you).
Actually, it was friends and people who've received the tee having photographs of themselves done. I'm in talks with a pretty famous fashion photographer to get some proper pictures done, these are the 'customer viral' photos. If they're happy enough to take a photo of the product and mail it to me, then I'm happy to make a portion of the site dedicated to that (probably an alternate link than the main image).

The one with your arm outward and the tiles and panelling behind you (bathroom I assume) is bad, the greyscale (calling it back and white would be generous) with colour design one that follows is the worst. A lot of your shots are out of focus - it wouldn't hurt to re-shoot them, and try to keep the backgrounds a little less... kitchen/bathroomy.
Totally agree. My last point should have this covered.

The basic simplicity, resolution, etc. is okay - they're just not quite there yet.
Ace.

Your stock level indicator says preorder, but your textual description says in stock in S/M/L.
Ooh, I missed that, thanks fella. :)

Minimal text is fine, but I think you should add a faq page. Brief contact information, care instructions (since I assume you're in Britain they're technically required under your mail order laws), size chart, a brief description of what your company and/or your shirts are about (like the sentence you gave here), payment information, etc. It might seem all too obvious, AA is a standard brand, etc. but you don't want to discourage people for whom this might be their first or second online t-shirt purchase. Or the paranoid nervous wreck who wants to be reassured by a FAQ first.
Yeah, definitely. I do actually have all the buttons in place (about page, sizing, returns, faq, images, press, bands, etc). Hopefully I'll have some time today to work on the rest of the site. I had about 15 orders in a half hour on Wednesday so I had to forget about updating the site and start packing!! :)

You mentioned that the tee comes in a gift box, etc. but I don't see that mentioned or photographed on your website. Might be a good idea to add some photos of your packaging to the slideshow - maybe you're trying to keep it as a pleasant surprise for the buyer, but you should at least hint at things like that to increase chances of a sale.
The reason I didn't is to keep it a surprise. I even had one guy blog about his tshirt and how he hadn't expected it to arrive like this:

We Are Phi Shirt GET, 14/08/08, Dance Dance

I like the t-shirt design itself.
Awesome man, thanks for your help. Stay in touch, I may be able to hook you up with a free tee for your helps.

Best Regards

Alex

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're also in talks with the producer of a hit UK Channel 4 show about having one of the main characters wearing my tee.

That'd be SICK.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Solmu, thanks so much for your response.
You're welcome.

I'm running this on my own and it's getting bigger than I thought it would
Yeah, that happens. You don't seem to be letting things get away from you, so that's good.

I've had a lot of people just slag off the designs (without having seen a tshirt up cloe) without focusing on the layout, and it's a little... tiring!
I think slagging off designs is a bit of a waste of time, unless they're just ****. Your current design isn't something I'd buy personally, but it's an aesthetically pleasing design that I can see there being a market for.

I'm actually launching the new design next Friday as the shipment comes in, and the site will expand accordingly.
Makes sense. So far so good.

The social media buttons can be relocated to another page, but I need those links to Facebook and Myspace as they offer another place to check out the community we're building.
It's the slashdot one I dislike the most - it's ugly, so it stands out. It sounds like your site is in a transition period at the moment anyway, so maybe when things settle in you'll be able to integrate the links a bit more.

The gradient, well I'll respectfully disagree (unless you mean the shadow under 1.618, yeah that's probably too Apple-esque). I like the gray background gradient though, it spices things up a little compared to plain FFFFFF. :)
I hadn't even noticed the gradient in the background of the page itself, which is good - invisible design usually being the best. No, I meant the gradient (and shadow reflection) on the 1.618 logo itself. It's just one visual cliché I'm getting really sick of, and judging by the website parodies that are out there I'm far from the only one.

The nape is actually printed with waterbased ink, but on the dark garment it's a very weak print. I hate specks of gray showing through the design, the white base charge gives it a very vibrant yet soft base colour.
I tend not to mind weak prints, and I think either can work with this design. But like I said, that's just a matter of differing tastes and I can see why the boldness of a plastisol print would be well matched to the boldness of the design.

I had about 15 orders in a half hour on Wednesday so I had to forget about updating the site and start packing!! :)
That's a good problem to have.

Best of luck with the TV producer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts