T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just bought an HP PSC1410 all-in-one printer for personal use (ie school work etc, non t-shirt printing related use) and was wondering:

is there ANY chance I could print out a couple of transfers on it? I just have the cartridges that came with it, if these are no good, I can buy others along with the proper paper and I have a house hold iron :) Doable at all?

I just want to make a couple of samples for myself just to see how it looks on the shirt. Not concerned about things such as washability, and not relying on this printer for business related jobs in the future, just a couple of quick samples.

Please let me know and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
it is not that you can't use your hp to print your transfers that we concern ourselves with. it is the professional quality that most of us depend on to sell our work. Your just printing and putting on a shirt a transfer for fun then go for it. Remember to make sure (for light transfers) that you print mirror image) Hope it looks great. Lou

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lou and thanks for the reply.

So I get the answer is yes, I can give it a quick try. If you don't mind could you tell me if the factory included ink cartridges are usable in this case or I need to purchase special inks for this?

And since I'll be working with just a regular iron (vs heat press), how long do you think I should press it for?

Thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Annushka said:
So I get the answer is yes, I can give it a quick try. If you don't mind could you tell me if the factory included ink cartridges are usable in this case or I need to purchase special inks for this?

And since I'll be working with just a regular iron (vs heat press), how long do you think I should press it for?
If you're just testing it yourself, any ink should be fine. Watch when washing the shirt the first time however, as it may bleed a bit.

For ironing time, I think they usually recommend about 2-3 minutes for a full-sized print. Make sure you apply very heavy pressure (use both hands) when pressing it into the shirt. Generally any transfers you buy that are made for use with a home iron (e.g., Avery ones bought at Office Depot or wherever) will come with instructions giving aproximate times and such.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both!

I just ordered the kitchen sink sample pack from milford folks.

Let's see what happens :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I am waiting for these to arrive, I had another question pop up in my head.
Are there any water based inks out there that are compatible with my printer?
I never thought that inks made for paper printing could be suitable for textile printing and I'm very curious as to what the hand feel would be for these.
What are my options in general with making my own heat transfers:
-Use the the inks that came with the printer
-Purchase plastistol cartridges (if there's such thing)
-Purchase water based ink cartridges...

I'm just being impatient :) Let me know guys

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Annushka said:
I never thought that inks made for paper printing could be suitable for textile printing and I'm very curious as to what the hand feel would be for these.
What are my options in general with making my own heat transfers:
-Use the the inks that came with the printer
-Purchase plastistol cartridges (if there's such thing)
-Purchase water based ink cartridges...
There is no such thing as plastisol cartidges - plastisol transfers are made by screen printing on to a carrier paper, which you can then apply to a t-shirt with a heat press. You'll likely have to order these from an outside company, but they are useful.

I don't know about any 'water-based' ink, or if such exisits...

What is generally recommended to use for transfers (as far as inks go) is some flavor of pigmented ink (as opposed to dye-based ink). Pigmented inks won't bleed when washed, so they work a lot better for t-shirts. Magic Mix is a popular 3rd party pigmented ink, otherwise a lot of people use the Durabrite inks which come with some Epson printers. A few people have had good luck with the new HP pigmented 'Vivera' inks.

However, you will need to have a printer that is made to accept pigmented inks to use them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts