T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
simulated process is the way to go. It's done in photoshop. you create your artwork and limit it to 4 colors. which in the case of a dark shirt would really be two colors with a white base and a white highlight. Some files can be printed without the white highlight,The lady in the example looks like it has red, white, black and maybe light brown. you achieve the photorealistic look with your halftone dots. The shadows on her legs for example are part of the same black screen that did the dots and text at the top. Once you have limited the colors in your artwork. You separate your colors for output. there are several ways to do this manually or you can use a third party plug in that automates the process. The process is to complicted to explain in a post. But i will give you the basics. one method is to use the color range selection tool and create a seperate channel for each color then output all the channels. this is an over simplification. but thats the jist of it. It's really a lot more involved, like compensating for dot gain. Thats the darkening of an image because the dots in screenprinting tend to grow thus creating a darker image that loses detail. It takes a little trial and error before you know what issues each piece or artwork might have in the process. Sorry I couldn't give you a more cut and dry answer. I suggest you get a good training dvd on the process.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Look at that image closely.. I doubt that the designer intended on the woman being so red. That print, after zooming real close in on it, i can almost guarantee it was printed on a 4 color manual press, otherwise it probably would have looked more realistic if the original press it was printed on had more heads.. That art was probably "crunched down" to meet the press specs.. It looks to me like Underlay white(with haltone but maybe not), Black (With halftone), Red (with halftone) and maybe or maybe not a highlight white.. So much red in that image i am almost willing to bet that the underlay was hit once, flashed, and hit again and flashed, then Black and Red on top. And looking at it some more, it is possible that gray was used making that the 4th color printed. Tough to tell without seeing a higher rez picture of the shirt to zoom in on

·
Registered
17 Posts
You could acheive this design with only 3 screens. Black, White, and Red. I would use Photoshop and go in and select the colors in the edit menu. Make 3 layers and then start separating. When done just go up to Image>Mode>bitmap and choose halftone 48-55 frequency, 45/120 angles. White would stay solid. Not complex at all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could acheive this design with only 3 screens. Black, White, and Red. I would use Photoshop and go in and select the colors in the edit menu. Make 3 layers and then start separating. When done just go up to Image>Mode>bitmap and choose halftone 48-55 frequency, 45/120 angles. White would stay solid. Not complex at all.
how long should I expose the screen for I have a home made uv light box?

·
Registered
17 Posts
how long should I expose the screen for I have a home made uv light box?
I use Textile PV which is a quicker exposure elmulsion. 60-130 secs. With vellum I burn no more than 60 secs. With film I can go as long as 2 mins depending if there is high detail or not. The color of the screen can make a difference too. White low mesh don't need as much time to expose where as yellow needs just a bit more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts