T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is my setup: I have a 4 color press and I have Illustrator CS3 & Photoshop CS3. I print film using an epson 1400 without a rip software.

Here is my dillema: I have this artwork (attached) that a customer wants printed on a tee. i want to screenprint it but it looks liek it has to be separated using halftones or simulated process? is that right? What are my options? kinda confused as to how I would do this...Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Can you print out a decent half-tone from your system? 55 lpi on a 355 should work just fine.Is it black on white print?You have enough on of a contrast with the grays that you shouldn't have to adjust the image at all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
how about separating the tones manually (in photoshop)? (it looks like there's 2 or 3 different gray tones on the artwork...plus black)....
then convert each separated tones in solid black and print that on your film/transparency for exposure.
then just mix black ink with white to achieve those different gray tones when printing on the shirt..

just a thought.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Fred,

I am curious what line count and mesh you used for your testing - also how large a run did you do? Any problems with the halftones drying up in the mesh? Was it a pigmented discharge (pre-mix white) or natural - it looks like a pre-mix white, but I have found that with the pigment load it often will dry up over a print run above several hundred or so. Just curious as to your results - the print looks good, but more interested in how it worked over the run and how long the run was.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
We recently did a halftone test with discharge ink which might be what your looking for. Because the discharge ink is thin, it gets partially absorbed into the fabric. The result is more of a tint than a halftone. The shirt is a hanes beefy-t.

fred
if you dont mind me asking

what ink did you use
what mesh count
what tension on the screen
how thick did you coat your screen

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Were still work working out the best settings for discharge. Earlier this week we printed another image using a 305 mesh screen with a 55 LPI halftone, wilflex discharge ink. We coat both sides of our screens only once. The different shades in the print come from halftones.

The brand and color of the shirt influences how well the discharge process works. Before buying any large quantity of shirts, i'm planning to order 2 test shirts first.

Aside the the variations caused by the brand, it seems that what i could print with black ink on a white shirt, that i can also print it on a black shirt using a discharge. (of course the image needs reversing)

fred
this is something (discharge, waterbase, etc.) i want start learning. i appreciate your help

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Fred,

We have done quite a bit of discharge and some with halftones. I was just asking because while I can do a 55 lpi on 300 or 305 mesh and it works fine for a few shirts, we have had some issues with it clogging in screens on longer runs that is why I was asking and to see if you might have come across any secrets to that. I wouldn't be too afraid of doing 72-100 pcs this way, but 300-400 pcs we usually change the lpi to 45, I was just wondeing if you had tested a run of that magnitude with it.

Thanks,

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.