T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am thinking about making a website where I can see my shirts. However, I am not very savvy with how websites work. I am wanting to sell some of my own designs and also have a place where people can design their own shirts. Where would I start, or what website can I visit to teach me what I can do.

How much labor goes into designing a website? What programs would I need?

About how much would it cost?

Thanks in advance for any help:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
There are a fair few posts on what you need to get started.

How much labour depends on what you want to achieve. A quick set up of cubecart for example will have your store "operating" in about 10 mins... just add products which is reasonably easy. BUT if you want to delve in and change layout/colours etc then be prepared to spend a LOT of time, especially at the beginning when you are learning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with @cookiesa, it really depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you want to use something out of the box without customisation it can be very low cost and low time incurred (either using hosted or self hosted solutions). However if you want to start customizing, then this is where all the time and cost comes into play, particularly if you are learning what you want as well as how to do it.

Your best option might be to get someone else to setup and host your site if you are not savvy with how they work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. You need to find someone to do it for you if you want it to look really custom. also if you want it where customers can design it right there. I just bought my domain name from www.godaddy.com & set up a temporary site until I can find some one to get it how I want it. I think getting the domain name is the 1st step so it doesn't get taken.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
OK. First thing you need to do is get a domain name registered. Second you need to find web hosting that offers php scripting and mysql databases. Most of the web site hosts offer this package.

You can then design your site in Microsoft Publisher or similar and add PayPal cart buttons. Alternatively, you can download free shopping cart software from Cubecart, Zen-Cart, or OS Commerce and use this instead.

Building your own site is not an easy option, as there is an element of technical ability required, which you are going to have to learn.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts