T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i'm new to this forum. I wanted to ask, how do you wash and clean a screen printed jacket. The screen print is plastiol ink. Are there any detergents that you recommend? Besides the standard cold wash turn inside out what else do you have to do ?

· Registered
695 Posts
You shouldn't have to do anything special if it was printed and cured correctly. If the jacket is nylon, hopefully they used a catalyst with the ink so it adheres properly to the nylon. The only time it might be an issue is if the jacket had water-repellent coating and they didn't wipe it down with acetone prior to printing.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You shouldn't have to do anything special if it was printed and cured correctly. If the jacket is nylon, hopefully they used a catalyst with the ink so it adheres properly to the nylon. The only time it might be an issue is if the jacket had water-repellent coating and they didn't wipe it down with acetone prior to printing.
To give more context it is a bape t shirt which is 100% cotton. Im really afraid the screen print will crack. I dont want to take chances. Is there any advice in terms of washing?

· Registered
8,278 Posts
To give more context it is a bape t shirt which is 100% cotton. Im really afraid the screen print will crack. I dont want to take chances. Is there any advice in terms of washing?
as mentioned as long as it was printed and cured properly there is no special handling or products needed.

After many washes and more specifically drying it will eventually crack although if dried on medium , low or air dry it will last much longer.

If its washed 1 or just a couple of times and cracks it wasn't cured properly

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as mentioned as long as it was printed and cured properly there is no special handling or products needed.

After many washes and more specifically drying it will eventually crack although if dried on medium , low or air dry it will last much longer.

If its washed 1 or just a couple of times and cracks it wasn't cured properly
Ok got it! I guess theoretically i have nothing to worry about. Is handwashing a screenprint a good idea?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you buy a t-shirt in a store that has printing on it, do you hand wash it? Those are screenprinted also.
Depends on the value. Im making the assumption that handwash has the potential to do the least amount of damage. If it is a $1000 screen print t shirt, then yeah i probably would hand wash it. One good example i guess is supreme t shirts. In my case for my jacket, it doesnt quite reach that value, but it is quite expensive and incredibly hard to replace if i do damage it. I'm trying to minimize the risk of damaging the jacket really. If that means handwashing, so be it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.