T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....how do you tell the difference between Sillkscreen and iron on??

im currently getting my tshirts printed with an outside printer.
He tells me that he is using silkscreen.... but the feel and look of it seems to me to be more of an iron on.

he is from a trusted clothing company.

but still i have my doubts.... as it really looks iron-on!

somebody please help!! what is the difference between the two?

thanks very much!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
I think if he's printing on dark shirts, it's most likely a screen print and not heat pressed.

What specifically about the feel makes you think it's an iron on?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had silkscreened shirts done once, and the ink was so thick, it felt like a plastic bag on the shirt.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
I had silkscreened shirts done once, and the ink was so thick, it felt like a plastic bag on the shirt.
The feel/hand of the silk screened shirt will depend on the ink coverage (and possibly type of ink used).

With light ink coverage and water based inks, it wouldn't have a rubbery feel at all. With a design that requires an underprint and many ink layers with heavier ink coverage, it might feel a bit more stiff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi guys... thanks for the replies...

mmm the reason y i thought/felt that it was iron-on:

1) the color isnt totally solid (or i must be scrutinizing really hard)
2) when u stretch the tshirt (where the print is on), there isnt those tiny gaps.
which means its like a layer of paint/or iron-on is over the tshirt instead of infused into it.
3) ya the plastic feel of it, although i know that silkscreen produces that as well.
4) it cracked very little but became worse when i stretched it
5) u can feel that it is like a layer on the tshirt

mmmm i think thats all that i can come up with for now..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh... by the way, its a picture not words... maybe about the size of one and half a CD?
and its on a dark coloured tee..

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Can you scan the t-shirt and upload it as an attachment here?

Screen printing isn't really "infused into" the garment. It is layers of ink put "on top of" the garment.

Does the picture look like a JPG picture (exactly how it looks on your computer monitor), or does it look like dots were used to recreate the picture?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mmmm ive tried scanning the picture but it doesnt look like as it is if it were in your hand.

rodney what do you mean by "Does the picture look like a JPG picture (exactly how it looks on your computer monitor), or does it look like dots were used to recreate the picture?"

i dont quite get that...

actually the main reason why i was suspecting is because of the one section of the graphic where the colour dont look totally solid. not sure if im using the right terms ... but it just doenst feel silkscreened.

the layers look "on top of" each other where it lookslike it can be peeled off, although... ive tried but cant (lol).

not sure if this helps... but there are 4 colours used, tshirt is black.
colours used are white, pink, maroon and slightly dark orange.
the graphic that comes out, the orange and maroon layer seems most "pop" out and the white and pink not as much.

"pop" out meaning that... when u see the orange bit then the white bit, u can see that there's a tiny step down.

hope im making sense though..

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
What I meant was, if your design was an actual photograph, then with screen printing it wouldn't look EXACTLY like the photograph, it would look like a photograph printed by lots of dots. A heat press would look much more like an actual photograph.

I think the only way for us to tell would be to see a photograph of the tee or a scan of the t-shirt and see if we could see any tell tell signs one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
It's hard to tell for sure without seeing it, but everything you've described could be a screenprint.

If I had to make a guess I'd say that the shirts are screenprinted, but that perhaps the ink coverage is a bit uneven.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oic.... mmmmm ok. thx jdr

rodney: no... its not a photograph...

i think its silkscreened from what jdr has said..

thanks so much everyone :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts