T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any questions i could ask a screen printer to see how nice he is and how knowledgeable he is? thanks.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
look at samples, pick what you like and tell him/her, this is what i want.
Then get a price.

dont say things like:
" my designs are copyright so you know you can't re-use them "

thats an insult to a screen printer's integrity.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
dont say things like:
" my designs are copyright so you know you can't re-use them "

thats an insult to a screen printer's integrity.
Not all screen printers will feel it's an insult to their integrity.

That's a legitimate question from a person that is new to getting their designs printed by someone else.

I wouldn't work with a printer that felt that it was an insult or made me feel like my questions were stupid.

I would say that you should ask as many questions as you can about turnaround times, setup costs, volume pricing, etc.

That will give you some good answers as well as see how the company responds to questions from customers. If you're going to be spending your hard earned money at a printer, you should feel comfortable with the way they respond to your questions.

I agree with Lucy that you should look at samples or take samples of t-shirts that you have and see if they can reproduce that type of printing (feel, location, number of colors).

Communication is really key when working with a screen printer. Something you may think is "normal" (like a light coating of ink) may not be "normal" for the printer (they may be used to printing jerseys or for other customers that like a thick layer of ink). That doesn't mean they can't do the type of printing you want, it just means you need to talk with them to make sure they know your expectations.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Rodney said:
Not all screen printers will feel it's an insult to their integrity.
Integrity = " Quality characterized by honesty, reliability, and fairness. " a/

I would much prefer to work with one that would feel insulted than one that would not. ;) would't you ? at least you know this guy has integrity.

A good way to ask would be:

"what is your policy relating to copyright material"

...also, remember that the screen printer can refuse to do the job if they feel there is a copyright violation with your art.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
It's all about the phrasing. If someone said to me "my designs are copyright so you know you can't re-use them" I would be extremely insulted. If they asked about their rights, how I treat artwork, etc. that would be a different matter. You do need to be careful about what you say to a professional - there are no stupid questions (perhaps, although I think there are plenty), but there are definitely stupid statements.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Integrity = " Quality characterized by honesty, reliability, and fairness. " a/

I would much prefer to work with one that would feel insulted than one that would not. would't you ? at least you know this guy has integrity.
I don't know if a feeling of insult would automatically equal integrity on the part of the printer. Even some criminals will feel instulted if you call them a thief. Some people are more sensitive than others as well. Some people use the act of being "instulted" as a way of getting defensive. If I asked an honest question, I wouldn't want the printer to get all insulted just because I didn't know how things worked.

But I don't want to mire this thread in details like that. It's a great question:

"how to tell if the screen printer is good: what questions should you ask?"

T-Bot said:
A good way to ask would be:

"what is your policy relating to copyright material"
That's a great tip (and a better way of putting it :)):

Hopefully other members may have some questions or tips that they can share :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
ontheCoMeUP said:
are there any questions i could ask a screen printer to see how nice he is and how knowledgeable he is? thanks.
Nice and knowledgeable doesnt automatically equal quality work.... I'd be more interested in the samples of his work...we have them hanging on the walls around here so people can see them.... Thats the bottom line.... If he does lousy work I could care less how "Nice" he is or Knowledgable about the process....
Screen Printing is not "Rocket Science" yet its not just a craft either...its part Craft and part Art.... Knowledge will have a measure of impact on the Kraft part but no impact what-so-ever on the Art side of the business... that can only be judged by the end result... and untill you see their work, I'm not sure there are any questions in the world that will reflect directly on the quality of the work...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts