T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
I have a question, I hope its not stupid also(lol). I am new to t-shirt design, but not to freehand. I have some sketches I would like to get on tee's, trying to convert from freehand to vector. In step two above you stated that you use vellum paper to ink the drawing? How would I do this? If I have already sketched the design on regular paper, would I put the vellum on top and trace with the sharper ink markers?
Yep, you'd just put the paper on top and trace with a pen - what you're looking for is a deep black pigment so the contrast is as high as possible for scanning.

· Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have a question, I hope its not stupid also(lol). I am new to t-shirt design, but not to freehand. I have some sketches I would like to get on tee's, trying to convert from freehand to vector. In step two above you stated that you use vellum paper to ink the drawing? How would I do this? If I have already sketched the design on regular paper, would I put the vellum on top and trace with the sharper ink markers?
Yes, you are exactly right. I tape (using painter tape so it's removable without tearing) a piece of vellum paper to the sketch which allows me to ink on a clean paper. Sometimes a light table can help. As far as translating freehand files to CorelDraw your best bet is probably to save/export a copy of your freehand file as an .EPS file.

· Registered
10 Posts
Yes, you are exactly right. I tape (using painter tape so it's removable without tearing) a piece of vellum paper to the sketch which allows me to ink on a clean paper. Sometimes a light table can help. As far as translating freehand files to CorelDraw your best bet is probably to save/export a copy of your freehand file as an .EPS file.
Thanks so much! So what I would do is ink the sketch on vellum and then scan and import to corel draw(after its been inked)? Also, I am currently using a 30 day trial of coral draw and about to watch some tutorials online on how to use. I have used gimp in the past a little. I hope is VERY similar! Do you know any short cut tools to adding color to my drawing after its been imported to coral draw? Also, because it is a sketch, do you have any pointers as to how to technically ink it without messing up the contrast and shading parts?

· Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks so much! So what I would do is ink the sketch on vellum and then scan and import to corel draw(after its been inked)? Also, I am currently using a 30 day trial of coral draw and about to watch some tutorials online on how to use. I have used gimp in the past a little. I hope is VERY similar! Do you know any short cut tools to adding color to my drawing after its been imported to coral draw? Also, because it is a sketch, do you have any pointers as to how to technically ink it without messing up the contrast and shading parts?
Yes, scan the inked vellum paper. For shading, you can use crosshatching and dots, otherwise, I suggest just inking the detail lines of the object and then applying gradients in CorelDraw for more of the shading. For help on coloring in CorelDraw, check out these CorelDraw video tutorials of mine on youtube:
YouTube - FreelanceFridge's Channel
The best ones for you would be:
-Coloring artwork in CorelDraw with Freelance Fridge
-How to create outlines and shine text in CorelDraw with Freelance Fridge
Hope this helps!

· Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I use Neenah Vellum. Here's a link to the exact type:
Neenah UV Ultra II Smooth Vellum
I choose this kind specifically because it doesn't start curling up on me while I am inking. The sweat and oils in my hands end up curling pretty much all the other types I've tried.

I have an HP scanner, nothing new, nothing fancy. When my last scanner broke, I went to the local Goodwill and bought it for 6 bucks. Works great. Really any scanner will do, if it can scan at 300 dpi.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.