T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"ve found out how to save and use the extra 3"vinyl that was cut from the nornal size of 15" roll of vinyl for the roland stika 8" or 12" cutter.(these are for t-shirt printing)

1. Save all normal size plastic backings from the previous work/printing on shirts,etc.(12' w x whatever the length).

2. get the unused cut 3" vinyl from the storage and cut it into 12" .

3. get a piece of the saved plastic backing (sticky side on top).lay on the table.

4. lay one by one the cut 12" vinyl over the plastic backing. see pictures,using white vinyl).

5. slip the "new" vinyl to the cutter (i didn't get any problem with the additional thickness of the plastic backing ).

6. you can get only 2-2.75"H (with normal width size of your 8"-12" cutter) of an image from the 3" extra viny.

7. everytime you finished the first image cutting from the first vinyl, turn off the machine then roll the feeder up to the 2nd vinyl where the blade will start cutting, and so on...

Please see my pics...
(my roland stika 12" is really good fo a starterr, I hope I have the money for a roland gx24!! I was able to make 100's of graphics and it's still working!)

enjoy and I hope it helps!

edwin
burbank,ca

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
I"ve found out how to save and use the extra 3"vinyl that was cut from the nornal size of 15" roll of vinyl for the roland stika 8" or 12" cutter.(these are for t-shirt printing)

1. Save all normal size plastic backings from the previous work/printing on shirts,etc.(12' w x whatever the length).

2. get the unused cut 3" vinyl from the storage and cut it into 12" .

3. get a piece of the saved plastic backing (sticky side on top).lay on the table.

4. lay one by one the cut 12" vinyl over the plastic backing. see pictures,using white vinyl).

5. slip the "new" vinyl to the cutter (i didn't get any problem with the additional thickness of the plastic backing ).

6. you can get only 2-2.75"H (with normal width size of your 8"-12" cutter) of an image from the 3" extra viny.

7. everytime you finished the first image cutting from the first vinyl, turn off the machine then roll the feeder up to the 2nd vinyl where the blade will start cutting, and so on...

Please see my pics...
(my roland stika 12" is really good fo a starterr, I hope I have the money for a roland gx24!! I was able to make 100's of graphics and it's still working!)

enjoy and I hope it helps!

edwin
burbank,ca
What a great idea , never would have thought of doing that , Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
My time is worth more then the scraps... lol but nice idea of you have time, or you could just get a cutter that will use any size pieces :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
That's a great idea...thanks for the tip.

I use scraps alot! I have the little Craft Robo, so there is a carrier sheet I can use, but those "wear out", and that will save me from buying a new one.

My time is valuable too...time is money...that's why I try to utilize all my scraps. You'd be surprised how many over heart or cap size cuts you can get out of some scraps!

·
Registered
721 Posts
So, I just wanted to let you know, Thrivers, that this idea came in real handy for me today. I remembered this post when I was trying to figure out if I had enough vinyl for a rush job.

My customer had 9 flags, and she wanted a one sentence saying printed on each flag...all were different.

Because I have a little Craft Robo, and my vinyl needs to be 9" wide, I was really worried that I wasn't going to have enough vinyl to cut 9 "sayings" with 4 inch letters.

I took a piece of vinyl that I don't really like, or use. I cut a piece 36" long, and then cut that down to be 9" wide. I took the vinyl off of that, so now I had a "carrier".

I then took my white 15" vinyl, and cut 3 pieces 36 inches long. Then I cut those into 3 pieces longways, so I had 9 pieces of vinyl that were 5" wide X 36" long. I placed my white vinyl on the "carrier", ran it through the cutter, and it worked like a charm.

I got all 9 phrases (4 inch letters X about 32" long) cut out of 3 yards of vinyl.

So...that's my very long way of saying thanks for posting that little tip. I would have never thought of doing what I did otherwise. Thanks to you, instead of not having enough vinyl, I still have a yard left.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I just wanted to let you know, Thrivers, that this idea came in real handy for me today. I remembered this post when I was trying to figure out if I had enough vinyl for a rush job.

My customer had 9 flags, and she wanted a one sentence saying printed on each flag...all were different.

Because I have a little Craft Robo, and my vinyl needs to be 9" wide, I was really worried that I wasn't going to have enough vinyl to cut 9 "sayings" with 4 inch letters.

I took a piece of vinyl that I don't really like, or use. I cut a piece 36" long, and then cut that down to be 9" wide. I took the vinyl off of that, so now I had a "carrier".

I then took my white 15" vinyl, and cut 3 pieces 36 inches long. Then I cut those into 3 pieces longways, so I had 9 pieces of vinyl that were 5" wide X 36" long. I placed my white vinyl on the "carrier", ran it through the cutter, and it worked like a charm.

I got all 9 phrases (4 inch letters X about 32" long) cut out of 3 yards of vinyl.

So...that's my very long way of saying thanks for posting that little tip. I would have never thought of doing what I did otherwise. Thanks to you, instead of not having enough vinyl, I still have a yard left.
de chez,etc.,
you're all welcome guys!! the idea came to me when i was pressing 45 pcs. of shirts.everytime that i toss the backing in the trash can,i was always thinking of what can i use of the material since it is a heat resistant material.i think we can still get more use of the backing beside pressing.

That was the time that i remembered my 3" leftovers from my past orders,good thing i didn't throw it away. i tested it and i was able to get 2.5"H X 9.80" W transfer!!!!

I excitedly posted my experience here to share it to the owners of small vinyl cutters and as a contribution to the Forum for helping us a lot here!!!

( I was able to buy a very like new roland gx-24 last monday at craigslist.my patience paid off,watching for a steal at craigslist everyday!)

Enjoy!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts