T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI!
I did a quick search and found one thread but it didn't really answer my question. I realze this might be out of the arena of this forum but I will give it a shot any ways.

I am launching soon, and planned on selling Tshirts, lingerie, and dresses to start with. But then I started thinking about relabeling small items like thongs. If I rip off (cut out) the existing label that might damage the product if it's something that is shear for example. Also, I didn't really think I could heat press a label into the garment so i considered a hang tag with all the information as my best option. Presuming all this is legal - (is it?) what would you recommend is the best way to relabel such garments?

The one thread I found as I searched for the answer posed the question as to whether or not it is even legal to purchase a whole sale dress, lingerie etc and then relabel. (I didn't think of that)... does anyone know?

I did find a manufacture in China that will mass produce ANYTHING with my label.. but man they want huge minimums and right now I cannot swing that.

Anyone else out there selling more than just Tshirts? with thier own label? Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
i'm not a lawyer, but i play one on t.v.. j/k.

my understanding is that relabelling when there's already another company's tag on it is trademark infringement. there has to be a country of origin on the label, too, methinks. now, if you buy something that's patented and sell it within the same country, i think you can relabel that. weird. and don't quote me on any of this, i've only ever done a cursory look into it. :)

can that chinese company mass produce me a million twenty dollar bills? :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why don't you ask how to choose the right underwear in a store like MarieMur. Or for example, where can I buy leather lingerie? Or something similar. I could answer such questions correctly. I would say that it is a pleasant fact that leather underwear delights us with a diverse range of products. And the main thing here is not to make a mistake in choosing, because the leaders are always followed by those who want to take advantage of someone else's fame, so you need to be extremely careful when buying leather goods because there are plenty of fakes and low-quality goods.

·
Administrator
14,015 Posts
does anyone know?
It's perfectly legal to relabel any garment you want, you paid for it after all.

There are rules on what the label must say. Mainly country of origin, fabric content, size would help :), etc.

Here are full rules from the FTC: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/threading-your-way-through-labeling-requirements-under-textile

As to the question of relabel feasibility, that of course depends on the garment and how the original label was applied. 'Tagless' labels are harder to remove/conceal than sewn in labels. The cleanest, most professional way to replace sewn in labels is to remove the stitches from the original label, replace it with your own, and sew it back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would think that if t-shirt companies are selling label-less tees and people make labeling machines and tags, it would be legal here. just my 2 cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts