T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for all the questions, but does anyone find that when they are scrambling to pull the transfer paper off, while its burning hot, that the material pulls and sort of mishapes the image? I'm getting a lot of this and not too sure what it is that I am doing wrong.

Thanks as always.
:confused:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I dont think what jmcollection said is correct. I believe that you are using hot peel paper. Since it is designed to be peeled hot, the quicker you peel it, the better it will work. Make sure the you are not bending or pulling the transfer as you peel off the transfer. What you are experiencing is a common, but not severe problem. Sometimes the design does look a bit stretched out. Basicly just peel as quickly as posible, and try not to move the shirt or transfer much as you peel.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Hi Liz,

Yes you need to peel the paper from your transfer as soon as you open your press. I have been blessed with a great tolerence for pain so the heat for me is no big deal:rolleyes: It will take you a little while to perfect the best method for you. You might try as you pull the paper off, start from one side and keep the paper close to the shirt. Don't pull up pull sideways.

Where's Lou when you need him?????:D

·
Registered
387 Posts
I start in the lower right corner of the transfer and peel towards the top left corner -- seems to work well for me . . .

·
Registered
282 Posts
Liz, make sure you know if your transfer is HOT PEEL or COLD PEEL. By your description, I would peel after it's cooled a bit. Then if muddy image, perhaps lower your pressure, time or temp.

It would help if you provide information on WHAT KIND OF TRANSFER. What kind of blank (50/50, 100% etc). Your time, temp and pressure settings.;)

I have found you cannot rely on any instructions provided as being able to work for you. I use provided instructions an initial guide and then through trial and error perfect what works for my heat press, garment and transfer.

Susan

bebeink said:
Sorry for all the questions, but does anyone find that when they are scrambling to pull the transfer paper off, while its burning hot, that the material pulls and sort of mishapes the image? I'm getting a lot of this and not too sure what it is that I am doing wrong.

Thanks as always.
:confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Susan thanks for the info - I am using hard pressure - 400 degrees - 15 seconds. I am using 100% cotton and it has a sligth rib to it. (American Apparel)

Thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Liz, I think it may be the "ribbed" shirt. But you say "slight rib" so could be something else. I don't know what the solutions are for ribbed shirts (such as tanks) as I'm pretty new to this.

You might want to start a new thread or search for ribbed/stretchy t-shirts here. And if you strike out maybe try the Y group "heat_transfers_for_desktop_printers" or do a forum search at screenprinters.net.

Also, I think the temp may be too hot. Try 375. Are these plastisol transfers? Stock transfers? Your own digital inkjet transfers?

Susan

bebeink said:
Hi Susan thanks for the info - I am using hard pressure - 400 degrees - 15 seconds. I am using 100% cotton and it has a sligth rib to it. (American Apparel)

Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
hey guys... with stretch rib, it is a good idea to peel the transfer up-down direction.... since the rib KNIT fabric stretches most from side-to-side.

Also with ribs, use an inside stretch teflon pillow and apply the transfer with a stretched ratio.... this will help the durability in terms "crack"..... i find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts