T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This is great forum, I've been reading for a while and found lots of info. Thanks to all. I just started printing tshirts and run into few problems :)

First I'm in Ireland so not much stuff is available in Europe. I'm using JPSS and 3G, 3G is a bit thick but not too bad but the real issue is it feels and sounds like plastic when you flap it around. Not good :( So now I'm looking for alternative paper for darks, some people recommend ImageClip with laser printer. Maybe I'll try IronAll.

I also wanted to print some text with coloured image on dark tshirts and couldn't find the way to print letters. What is the better way to do it? With white tshirt you probably could use something like Cameo cutter to cut through film, but with 3G paper you have to pull it off the paper and can't rearrange each letter individually? I can't really use vinyl because there is full coloured image, and the text may overlay the image. Is there some secret self-weeding paper for inkjets? I've been to one shop and they had white letters printed on black tshirt but they didn't want to reveal what exactly they use, one was ruined and had some paper left stuck to it, so it was a heat transfer.

The only option I found is OKI printer with white ink, but it costs around 2000. And do you know any self weeding paper at least for white tshirts?

This guy (Martin Butler) seems to print with inkjet but again doesn't tell which paper he uses, he offers a DVD with all information:

T Shirt Transfer Printing Training Workshop - Start Your Home Business

T Shirt Transfer Printing Training Workshop - Start Your Home Business - YouTube

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Hello! This is great forum, I've been reading for a while and found lots of info. Thanks to all. I just started printing tshirts and run into few problems :)

First I'm in Ireland so not much stuff is available in Europe. I'm using JPSS and 3G, 3G is a bit thick but not too bad but the real issue is it feels and sounds like plastic when you flap it around. Not good :( So now I'm looking for alternative paper for darks, some people recommend ImageClip with laser printer. Maybe I'll try IronAll.
Have you checked Serigraf's website?. It is right in your backyard so to speak.

https://twitter.com/Serigraf_irl

Imageclip Laser for dark lacks opacity unless you use printer with white toner so you can also print white text with it.

Ironall inkjet for dark is thinner but it is hard to find. You also need vinyl cutter with registration sensor such as Cameo.

Yolo is the vendor in EU for heat transfer.

yolö - Quality image transfer products for creative people! UK

Here is an old thread that I did in 2011 about Cooler Concept laser transfer. It is made for light garment.

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/laser-heat-transfer-paper/t137008.html

I also wanted to print some text with coloured image on dark tshirts and couldn't find the way to print letters. What is the better way to do it? With white tshirt you probably could use something like Cameo cutter to cut through film, but with 3G paper you have to pull it off the paper and can't rearrange each letter individually? I can't really use vinyl because there is full coloured image, and the text may overlay the image.
Do hybrid of vinyl and 3g. Vinyl for letter and 3g for full color. You need Cameo for doing it.

Is there some secret self-weeding paper for inkjets? I've been to one shop and they had white letters printed on black tshirt but they didn't want to reveal what exactly they use, one was ruined and had some paper left stuck to it, so it was a heat transfer.
There use to be 2 step self weeding Imageclip for inkjet for light but Neenah discontinued it.

The only option I found is OKI printer with white ink, but it costs around 2000. And do you know any self weeding paper at least for white tshirts?
Use 2 step self weeding Imageclip Laser for lights. I would not recommend the dark version unless the printer prints white toner. The dark version lacks opacity with out white toner.

This guy (Martin Butler) seems to print with inkjet but again doesn't tell which paper he uses, he offers a DVD with all information:

T Shirt Transfer Printing Training Workshop - Start Your Home Business

T Shirt Transfer Printing Training Workshop - Start Your Home Business - YouTube
There is no magic bullet for inkjet for dark that is self weeding. Unless he is printing it in front of you with inkjet printer but I doubt it. He mentions vinyl cutter to trim the transfer paper. You can use JPSS with vinyl cutter and get the same result.

What I do with floating objects is I cut mask out of printer paper that will cover the unwanted polymer. It can be applied to either inkjet or laser transfer paper.

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/inkjet-heat-transfer-paper/t75356.html#post448921

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much!

I was just checking Serigraf, they have some self weeding laser paper and it's cheap, but for blacks it needs a white toner to print, it looked nice though in their video.

I found IronAll for darks here but haven't bought any yet:
PAPER | RA Smart

Yes Yolo is good, I get inkjet paper from them, and the shipment is quick.

Vinyl and 3G is probably the best way, I must try ImageClip laser for lights.

I was watching that guys videos and it got me interested in a paper he used but he doesn't say which one it is. I think for black tshirts he cuts images out, don't know about white tshirts.

The trick with cutout mask is handy for printing letters! I just couldn't understand, do you place the mask paper on top of transfer and just under the heat platen, or under the transfer paper/right on the garment? Could it work for paper for darks like 3G?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Thanks very much!

I was just checking Serigraf, they have some self weeding laser paper and it's cheap, but for blacks it needs a white toner to print, it looked nice though in their video.

I found IronAll for darks here but haven't bought any yet:
PAPER | RA Smart

Yes Yolo is good, I get inkjet paper from them, and the shipment is quick.

Vinyl and 3G is probably the best way, I must try ImageClip laser for lights.

I was watching that guys videos and it got me interested in a paper he used but he doesn't say which one it is. I think for black tshirts he cuts images out, don't know about white tshirts.

The trick with cutout mask is handy for printing letters! I just couldn't understand, do you place the mask paper on top of transfer and just under the heat platen, or under the transfer paper/right on the garment? Could it work for paper for darks like 3G?

Thanks again!
Go back and read the instructions again.

The next post below the instructions is pictorial instructions. What the pictorial instruction show is after the mask is contoured cut and weeded to lay the transfer facing up on the lower platen. Align the mask on top of the transfer. Cover the pair with parchment paper. Press them with medium pressure at 225F for 6 seconds just long enough so that the mask and the transfer are stuck together. Then peel the parchment paper. You have to trim the sides of each pair to remove exposed polymer that are hanging on the sides.

If you have a batch to press do all the masking before you raise the temp, pressure and time for pressing the Mask/Transfer on the shirt. After the masking is done raise the temp, time and pressure recommended for the transfer. Prestretch the shirt. Lay it on the lower platen. Press for 5 seconds to remove wrinkle and moisture. Open the press. Locate the Mask/Transfer on the shirt. Press for the rest of required time. Open the press. Peel Mask/transfer while hot. Stretch the shirt while hot. Cover the shirt with parchment paper. Press for 6 to 10 seconds for improve durability. Peel hot. Stretch the shirt again while hot to minimize cracking.

It will not work with 3G. It is printable vinyl. So you have to contour cut and weed it.

If you look closely on the video, right about the middle where the pigeon is showing, he had some trimmed transfer for lights not even contour cut but block trimmed. Transfer for dark is right facing. The pigeon is mirrored which is the way it is printed for light transfer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.